Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Veeam Server location (Replication)

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,
I hope someone can let me know if my proposed solution would work and any possible gotchas or improvments/changes.

So we have a single VM on a remote site that is on a standalone ESX server, running on local storage. We want to replicate this back to the head office so in the event of DR we can power up the VM and with a few changes can use this over the WAN link.

The main site (HQ) is connected by a VPN to a 3 host ESX cluster.

I was thinking to put the Veeam server on the source site (Remote) as a VM, connected using USB pass through to a USB device for the inital replication. I will then get the data up to the main site and transfer it to the storage and then the normal replicas can take place.

Is there any problems in doing it this way or can someone suggest a better way of doing this?

Regards
Andy
Alexey D.

Re: Veeam Server location (Replication)

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Andrew,

Your scenario looks fine.
singy2002
Service Provider

Post by singy2002 »

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.
singy2002
Service Provider

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,
As I already opened this port, and it discribed the environment, I thought I would post my problem here.

I do have a ticket open but have not had a reponse yet (open for 5 hours)

My error is

Initializing target session
PrepStorageForWriteEx failed 'nfc://conn:10.1.28.50,nfchost:host-327,stg:datastore-948@VeeamBackup/SBS-Server(32)/2010-11-25T000726.vbk'
Client error: NFC storage connection is unavailable. Storage: [stg:datastore-948,nfchost:host-327,conn:10.1.28.50]. Storage display name: [Shared04-NA01].
Failed to open NFC storage [nfc://conn:10.1.28.50,nfchost:host-327,stg:datastore-948@VeeamBackup/SBS-Server(32)/2010-11-25T000726.vbk] for read/write access

I did the initial replica to USB storage, brought it to the head office and copied the files on to the SAN, I ran the job later that evening and got the above error, I was wondering if i had done something wrong or if i needed to add the vm to the inventory, so i created a new test vm with a 1mb hard disk to do a full over the wan replica.

This test VM also gets the same error, so it looks like i didnt do the veeams ide of things wrong?

The error refers to permissions, but as far as i can tell everything is ok?

Anyone any ideas.
Andy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello Andy, target response times for Severity 3 support cases are 12 hours (business hours only) with standard support and 8 hours with platinum support (24/7). Please continue working with support on this issue, as we do not provide forum support for any technical issues requiring full logs investigation. For more information, please review forum rules regarding posting technical support issues provided when you click New Topic. Thank you!
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

This conflicts with what was discussed here http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5701 .

According to this response the ideal solution would be to have the Veeam server on the destination site.

Can we get some clarification?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There is no conflict, because there is no ideal solution. It is not one-size-fits-all type of thing. There are pros and cons of both approaches. Depending on replication target, link speed and failover requirements, better solution will vary from one deployment to another.

If you explain specific deployment, we can advise on best placement of backup server for you.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

The two deployments sound very similar to me. I guess my point is (if the link above is accurate which is my question) It was failed to be explained to the OP that there is a great possibility of not being able to start the replica if failure occurs during a job and the Veeam server is not available to roll back in the described setup. I personally was not aware of the possible issue and would like to confirm the issue and also make the OP aware of the possible issue in his/her setup.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This topic goes in details about this potential issue > Veeam Server DR