Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
giupri
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Giuseppe Priore

100% occupation of network bandwidth

Post by giupri »

Hello everybody,
when Veeam for o365 is running I notice 100% occupation of network bandwidth by it. I opened a ticket to Veeam Support and they made me change many times config.xml without any improvements though: Veeam for o365 takes ALL network bandwidth!
Veeam Support told me to open a topic into this forum to ask to Veeam's developer team to add feature to limit network bandwidth in future releases (this feature is missing at now).

Is it possible to have this feature, please?

Thank you for your support.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: 100% occupation of network bandwidth

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Giuseppe,

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the feature request, we will take this into consideration but I can't promise anything for the next version. Can I ask what the bandwidth is? In most cases, the solution cannot take all the bandwidth as the bandwidth is throttled by Microsoft on their side. The only thing you can do about that is actually call Microsoft support and ask to remove the throttling. Was this done at a certain point in time? Another reason for having this problem is limited bandwidth.

Last but not least, do you have a solution in-place that can limit the network to the service?

Thanks
Mike
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

+1 for having this as an option in the application. Microsoft may be limiting on their side, but having the safety net that Veeam won't ask for more than we specify is certainly desired
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

As a follow-up question. The system that currently exists in VBR, is that good as a 'safety net'? What I mean by that is not that it will suddenly start using VBR as an engine, just wanting to know if that solution is good enough for VBO also
Thanks
Mike
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Do you mean the B&R method of limiting the number of concurrent tasks? Not really. In my standard B&R scenario, I'm backing up local to my network, but for backing up 365, the common scenario will be backing up over an Internet connection, which is nearly always slower than LAN, so having more strict controls in place to limit how fast it can go is a must to me. Microsoft or Veeam may be limiting to 40 items/sec, but I'm not guaranteed how large those items will be and what the impact to production will be. By being able to tell the job to never use more than 25 MB/s or some other relevant number, I can be sure I always have bandwidth available.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Understood.

Thanks Joshua for the additional information
Mike
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » 1 person likes this post

+1

Cheers
sleti
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stefan Letinu

Post by sleti » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

At this moment you can specify the number of threads and limit network bandwidth to be used by a proxy server. Consider, however, that running too many threads against Office 365 organization may reduce the backup performance

To configure the necessary values, do the following:
Select the backup proxy in the preview pane on the right, then right-click it and select Properties from the shortcut menu:

Performance Settings for Backup Proxy
Default number of threads to process by backup proxy is 64. You can specify the value you need in the Set the number of threads to field of the Properties dialog.

Performance Settings for Backup Proxy
There is no network bandwidth limit by default. To set the required value, select the Limit network bandwidth check box, then use the list boxes next to it.
Click Apply to save the settings, then close the dialog.