Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

How often Transaction log reports

Post by ober72 »

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question, how often should I be getting email notifications from my SQL transaction log backups that occur every 15 minutes?

I think by default they go out once a day but is there a way to increase the number. This is not for the main sql VM but for the log backups.

thanks
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: How often Transaction log reports

Post by DaveWatkins »

I've wondered the same thing. In saying that I do get them more than once a day if they start failing but, and this is more concerning to me, I don't get an email when the log backups initially fail, there is always some level of delay, sometimes hours. The logging errors also regularly seem less than conclusive. The one I see most often is that the log failed to copy to the proxy, when the real issue is it failed to copy to the C drive of the SQL server because the log had grown so much that the C drive wasn't large enough. So really the issue is a space issue.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
You should get notification if log backup fails. Would you like to get notifications of successful log backups every 15 minutes or so?
Thanks!
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

Thats ok it would be overkill every 15 minutes :). Just wanted to confirm that they come out once a day. I did get one that said error but everything below was successfully backed up but that my have been a one off.

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

And how often would you like the notifications to work? :)
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

[MERGED] Feat.req: special email option for log-shipping sub

Post by mdiver »

From two customer projects with larger customers I would like to bring up this request.

With Oracle log-shipping we sometimes use intervals down to 10 min.
The email notification settings are handled by the main backup job in B&R.
Normally you would definitely like to know if the main job fails - so email alerts has to be switched on.
But then, if only the log-shipping fails, you get hammered by the error mails every 10min.

Three options IMHO would be reasonable:
  • have different notigication settings for the log-shipping (might be another user group to receive the mail)
  • switch of email notification only for the log-shipping
  • best option: have the option to only get a summary of the log-shipping errors - maybe together with the main jobs result
Maybe for V10... :wink:

Regards,
Mike
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mike,
How often would you like the notifications to work? Isn`t each 10 minutes too often?
Thanks
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

Customer wants logs to be shipped every 10 mins. It's an SAP system. But I think my ideas would be applicable to longer intervals also (e.g. 1hour).

Best would be to have the mail notification for log-shipping to be configurable fully independently from the main job. So we could even have a different email target (DB admins).
In addition it would be great to be able to (optionally) reduce the log-shipping notification to a daily summary - so if one DB fails for some time for a known reason (migration, maintenance), one is not spammed by errros.

Thanks,
Michael
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for a nice feedback, Michael!
mdiver wrote:In addition it would be great to be able to (optionally) reduce the log-shipping notification to a daily summary - so if one DB fails for some time for a known reason (migration, maintenance), one is not spammed by errros.
That`s actually how it works now if you backup the VM daily. In a case of log shipping error the "main" job will give you a warning.
ITesus
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] How to turn off 15 minute sql transaction log error

Post by ITesus »

When I have an issue with the sql transaction log backups that are part of my daily full, I receive an email alert every time it fails (which is every 15 minutes) until it is resolved (which happens once the daily full runs again). I would like to turn those alerts off without turning error notifications off for the daily full itself.

I get a nice 24 hour summary notification from Enterprise Manager too, so I will still be informed of sql transaction log success/warning/failures for each day. I just don't need an email every 15 minutes. Is that possible? I cannot find a setting to disable or modify those alerts without changing the alerts for the entire daily full job.
Shestakov
Veteran

Re: How to turn off 15 minute sql transaction log errors

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
What product version are you at?
There is no UI option to disable the notification, but we may think of workaround.
By the way, do you also use Veeam ONE?
Thanks!
ITesus
Influencer

Re: How to turn off 15 minute sql transaction log errors

Post by ITesus » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the response. I'm on version 9.0.0.1715. It doesn't need to be a UI option, a work around would be fine. I do use Veeam ONE (and love it).
ITesus
Influencer

Post by ITesus »

mdiver wrote:In addition it would be great to be able to (optionally) reduce the log-shipping notification to a daily summary - so if one DB fails for some time for a known reason (migration, maintenance), one is not spammed by errros.
Shestakov, you said in response to mdiver "That`s actually how it works now if you backup the VM daily. In a case of log shipping error the "main" job will give you a warning." Is this as of 9.5? Because it is not that way in 9. Unless I'm missing something. But this thread you merged me into is exactly the same as my question. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
v9.5 should work same as v9, you have instant notification of errors, however warnings and success statuses are shown only when the main job runs. As far as I know you can use regkey to change the behavior.
As I said we are planning to add flexibility to transaction log log backup notifications in Veeam ONE.
ITesus
Influencer

Post by ITesus »

Shestakov wrote:...As far as I know you can use regkey to change the behavior.
Could you provide me with the regkey I need to modify?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

DisableSqlLogBackupErrorReports == 1 <DWORD>
ITesus
Influencer

Post by ITesus »

v.Eremin wrote:DisableSqlLogBackupErrorReports == 1 <DWORD>
And where is this reg key located? The path please
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

You should be able to create or find it here: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup & Replication\
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Feel free to contact support team for help. Thanks!
ITesus
Influencer

Post by ITesus »

I did, they couldn't help me and recommended I try the forums (Case # 02057827)! I'll try modifying that key at that path and see if it does the trick. Thanks for your help.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hmm, that`s strange. You could escalate the case to get an assistance of higher level of support engineers.
Anyway, I`ve double-checked with developers, they confirmed the regkey should work, so give it a try.
willem.wismans
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Willem Wismans

[MERGED] Feature request: How often Transaction log reports

Post by willem.wismans »

When you create an SQL job with transaction log backup i.e. every 60 minutes and the "mother job" at 0.00u every day the notification is send when the "mother job" runs and when the transaction job fails for any reason. When the transaction job is successful there is no notification. I created a case to find this out (case ID 03155786). Case response is:

In this scenario we are dealing with an expected behavior. The transaction log backup is considered to be a secondary job to the primary Backup SQL which backs up the VM's. The only notifications you will receive will be if the transaction log job fails for any reason, otherwise we only report the success of the primary backup job Backup SQL. If you would like this feature to be introduced into one of the future releases of the product, I would recommend to visit our forum and create a feature request as the PM's and RND team visit it often and features that get most hits are introduced in future versions of the product.

I would like to be in control (read my customer would like to be) of the transaction log notification. Because when the notification will stop working for any reason there can be a 24u gap between knowing and acting on the job failure (only when the "mother job" should notify). Is this a feature you can build?

Thanks in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Willem, thanks for your request, it is merged into existing discussion for tracking purposes.
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Post by PariPari »

Can anyone confirm, if the mentioned registry key DisableSqlLogBackupErrorReports still works in Veeam 10/11?
Cause there is literally NOTHING in google except this thread when you search for it :-)

We dont want to receive any notifications for the log backups at all, but would like to get the notifications for the main job. Looks like the reg key should help here.

Would be even better, when you can configure the notification for logs separatly from the main/global notification settings :-)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The mentioned registry value should work for both v10 and v11 (otherwise it's a bug).