Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Procedure to test generational replication failover.

Post by ian0x0r »

Hi,

I am looking for a way to test generational failover of replicated virtual machines. I have looked at this guide http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ing#p10941 but this only relates to the current point in time replication.

Is there a way to test a point in time generational replication, without Veeam v5 reconfiguring the replicated virtual machine so it is connected to the network?

Thanks

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Procedure to test generational replication failover.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ian, you need to replicate to isolated network in this case, as there will be an IP/hostname conflict between source and replicated VMs being powered on at the same subnet.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r »

Ahh ok. Thanks for the quick reply as usual :)

I presume you mean the host that it is being replicated to is in a different network subnet, or is there a way to chose an Isolated network during the replication process, ie a vSwitch with no nics assigned to it. I have not seen such an option during job setup though.

Would a host have to be set up so it is not routable to the main production network and some kind of static routes put in place for the Veeam server to see the replication target host?

Is there any plans to implement any kind of testing features in future releases of Veem B&R? I have seen posts asking for something similair to surebackup virtual lab for replication jobs.

Thanks again

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I was referring to a different isolated network subnet on the host that is being replicated to, static routes for Veeam backup server should also work just fine.

Unfortunately, right now there is no way to choose which network to use for a replicated VM, you should do it manually. But as you have already noticed there are very few replication-related new features in v5, so yes, we are planning to enhance our replication functionality significantly in the next release.