Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

DataDomain issues, mentioned in Gostev's Community Digest

Post by ferrus »

I was unaware of the current EMC DD issues, until the community digest e-mail yesterday. I'm checking our system at the moment, to see what needs patched.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1985

We're running Veeam 9.5, and our DD clean window is greater than the time we have available when the DD is not in use by the Backup Copy Jobs.
So I suppose we should just wait for the patch for Veeam 9/9.5 to be released. Any rough guess on the timeline for this?

https://www.veeam.com/kb2244

This one confuses me a little. From the description, we may be susceptible to this (although we haven't experienced a DD panic yet). We have a DD as a repo for the BCJ via Dboost, which then uses multiple DD replication streams to another DD.

But lower down the page - it mentions Managed File Replication.
Is this DD directory replication, or an internal system that the DD's use for the mtree replication?
And on the same line mentions - DD replication via DDboost.
I thought DDboost involved offloading processing to Veeam - therefore not used with DD replication?

Our DD shows as having FIle Replication active, but with no current operations in progress.

Presumably the statement - 'This fix was made into DDOS 6.0.1', references the disable recipe processing workaround, rather than a full fix?

We're still at DDOS 5.6, so I'm considering whether it would be worthwhile to update.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Re: DataDomain issues, mentioned in Gostev's Community Diges

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Hi Ferrus,

Managed File replication is where the backup software takes care of copying files between Data Domain repositories, using DDBoost API. Not currently an option for Veeam, believe NetBackup support this.

Typically with Veeam Backup deployments where Data Domain storage replication is used it will be MTree replication of the tree containing the DDBoost container which is your Veeam repository.

(We have multiple DD 5.6 and 5.7 units deployed with Veeam 9.0 and a mixture of Mtree replication and Veeam WAN copy in use. Trying to determine a way forwards on this also.)
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

That's pretty much what I thought. So I don't quite understand why it's mentioned on that page - if it's something Veeam doesn't support.
If it's a simple Cut and Paste from an EMC KB - that's fine, but it's got me a bit confused about whether to patch or not!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

ferrus wrote:So I don't quite understand why it's mentioned on that page - if it's something Veeam doesn't support.
Because many customers are still using it by setting up such replication manually.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

With other backup software though?
Hope I'm not missing out on a hidden Veeam feature here? :lol:

So, in our situation - with Veeam DDboost Backup Copy Jobs and DD replication on the same device - is the DDOS upgrade advisable?