Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zuldan
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

SQL Restores - Failed to mount volume

Post by zuldan »

Case: 02047590

Dear Veeam, with the upcoming release of 9.5 Update 2, please could you kindly fix the warning message that appears when performing a SQL Database restore. Even though Veeam support have confirmed it's harmless, it's still embarrassing when you have warnings appearing all over your weekly Veeam report that your manager views.

zuldan
Enthusiast

Re: SQL Restores - Failed to mount volume

Post by zuldan »

Is anyone else seeing this warning?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This is already in our bug tracking system, however, you'd help us a lot if you could provide the log files from your setup, since we were not able to reproduce it internally. You could just re-open the case for that, that will be much appreciated. Logs will allow us to track the issue and fix it in one of the future updates, but I cannot guarantee that it will be Update 2, of course.
zuldan
Enthusiast

Post by zuldan » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the reply foggy. I have re-opened the case and uploaded a fresh set of logs.

I also ran a quick test before taking the logs to see if the issue still exists and it does.

radu.cruceana
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Radu Cruceana

Post by radu.cruceana »

Hello dear, friends

Same problem here :)
Veeam Enterprise 9.5 on physical Windows 2016 server.
Same warning while restore SQL 2012 database from Windows 2012 Server vm.
Is it harmless?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, restore operation will be successful, as mentioned in the session log. Please also contact support to speedup the investigation. Thanks.
zuldan
Enthusiast

Post by zuldan »

@radu.cruceana please kindly create a Veeam case / upload logs asap and post back with the case number.

My setup is only similar in that our SQL server is also a VM, however our SQL Server version is 2016.
winndm
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Winn

Post by winndm »

This is probably not the exact right thread as you folks are referencing a known existing bug, but anyone querying the "failed to mount volume" may run across this so I thought I'd share another possibility.

Some environments utilize security applications which block any unknown devices from being utilized, "endpoint security" products.
If you have such a product, Veeam will fail to mount the VEEAM VIRTUAL-DISK SCSI Disk Device because it isn't whitelisted with the Staging SQL Server

After whitelisting this disk, SQL restores can be mounted on the DB Server and handled normally.

Something to keep in mind for those running hardened environments.