Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Export MS SQL 2012 Express Tables?

Post by nitramd »

Hello Veeam Community.

I'm relatively new to Veeam and am impressed with how easy it is to use; my prior backup software usage has been with legacy backup software.

I have a server with B&R version 9 that's been in use for the several years. Recently, I've built a new Windows server and have just installed B&R version 9.5 but have not yet begun configuration of the software. I'm wondering if it is possible to export the backup and backup copy jobs (50+) then import this data into the new B&R server 9.5?

Thank you.

-md
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Re: Export MS SQL 2012 Express Tables?

Post by EugeneK »

The easiest way I can think of is to install the same version 9.0 on the new server, then use Configuration Backup tool in Veeam console to backup config along with the jobs settings, then restore it on the new server, then do the upgrade to 9.5 on that freshly restored config.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Since the versions are different, moving the database itself wouldn't serve you for a long run - the database scheme is likely changed a lot between software releases, which would make it unsuitable for the simple database migration. I'd stick to the native options for config backup and restore.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
nitramd
Veteran

Post by nitramd »

EugeneK,

I've realized that I left out that the database for version 9.5 is residing on an HA SQL 2016 cluster. Would this have impact your suggestion?

-md
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

MD, it shouldn't matter if the configuration tools referenced are the ones used for this transition. The operations, in essence, are dealing with whatever database backend is present for SQL database for Veeam.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
nitramd
Veteran

Post by nitramd »

Great. I try that when I get chance.

Thanks.