Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sohailiabbas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sohail Abbas

Veeam Endpoint Backup and SSD

Post by sohailiabbas »

Hi

Does veeam endpoint backup support restoring to newer nvme based ssd drives.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup and SSD

Post by Dima P. »

Hi sohailiabbas,

VEB supports Bare Metal Recovery to any disk recognized as internal storage.
acolad
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hervé Moser

Post by acolad »

Hi all,

My first post here as VEB usually always does an awesome job. We just stumbled upon an issue trying to restore a VEB backup to a quite recent workstation featuring such NVMe SSD disk as its main storage. It's a DELL Precision 3420 and when we boot onto the recovery media created from this machine, VEB unfortunately doesn't recognize the disk. All storage drivers appear loaded, but still no disk to choose as target.

My understanding was that all drivers get included into the recovery media during its creation. At least this automagically worked like a charm for every prior machine we had to manage with VEB. And we also tried adding some other drivers we got from the DELL website, but still are we unable to get this disk to show up for a restore.

Are there other people restoring without issues to NVMe disks ? I don't know if the issue we encouter is due to the lack of the correct drivers for the disk itself or some kind of bus in between. Any information in regards would be greatly appreciated !

THANKS and have a nice time !

Herve
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Herve,

Thank vou for the kind words! May I ask you to submit a case and share the case ID – I’d ask our QA team to take a look at your logs.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Herve,

Did you try to add those additional Dell drivers through the recovery media (Once you are booted on it?)
acolad
Novice

Post by acolad »

Hi Dima and Mike !

Thanks for your answers !

Yes, we tried to add the said drivers once booted onto the recovery media, but I'll give it one more try, collect the logs and submit a case if we still don't succeed. Being out of office for two days, I'll manage to do this only begining of next week but I'll keep you posted...

THANKS a lot !
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No worries, all with pleasure ;-)

And yes, if it fails again, please log a support case ID and follow up here! Would be appreciated
acolad
Novice

Post by acolad »

Hmmm, more than a year after I notice that I never updated this thread and thus failed in keeping promise to. Sorry for that !

Since then, we had quite some restores to operate on machines equipped with NVMe disks and they've always been a success. That said, those DELL machines (different models, Precisions and Optiplexs) always require us to feed the correct SATA driver to Veeam just before restoring to allow it to see the disk. Not a big issue now that we know which file(s) are needed.

We first thought our recovery media wasn't up-to-date, but those drivers apparently definitely don't get included into, or get included but aren't loaded properly on boot. Anyway, Veeam Agent does an awesome great job, although we have to feed it this driver.

So, now I hope I at least tried to correct my mistake not updating this thread... I noticed this because I'm about to open a new one as we now are about to purchase the whole Veeam availability suite, having had such impressive experience with Veeam products. Backup & Replication already runs well on our infra but I still have a little question to ask, thus I'll now go ahead to my new thread...

THANKS a lot for the support and have a good one !
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Herve,

No worries. Still glad you updated. It is true that lately a lot of new disks come out and windows doesn't have those by default anymore. Which means indeed that in a good workflow you will now make sure that every driver for a desktop/ laptop is somewhere close by to be used and loaded in case you need to do BMR.

Thanks again
And cheers
Mike