Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AlexLaforge
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alex Laforge

Can "Instant Recovery" be run on another server ?

Post by AlexLaforge »

Hi,

As a happy Veeam B&R Std 9.5 owner, I have 1 year of paid support from Veeam.
So well...how to say it... I generally always get more helpful information here in the forum ^!^

So let's dive into My verrrrrry difficult question (ironic) :

When I have backed up my Production Server, and it goes totally down:

- Q#1 : Can I restore a full backup to my Disaster Recovery site ? (I assume that the answer is "Yes", but with Veeam B&R, that's always better to ask!)

- Q#2 : Can I run an "Instant Recovery" on my Disaster Recovery site ?

For this second question, it seems that my 1-CPU license does not allow me to run "Instant Recovery" on my Disaster Recovery site, but only on my Production Site. So as my Production server will be down, I am thinking to revoke the license of the Production Site, and add the Recovery site in the license. Then, after disaster is finished, do the opposite. So if we revoke the production site, and add the license for the Disaster recovery site, will our backup originally taken from the Production site run on the Disaster site in "Instant Recovery" mode ?

- Q#3 : Bonus question : How many times can I do that ? (switch and revoke license)

Thank you for your lights ;)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Can "Instant Recovery" be run on another server ?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the kind words!

Destination hosts for restores, replication and migration jobs do not need to be licensed. Hosts running virtual machines which are not being processed by Veeam do not need to be licensed, even if they are a part of the same cluster.
So you can restore there with no revoking, but once you want to start backing up the restored VM on the DR site, you need the ESXi host to be licensed.

Support guys are really skilled by the way :)
AlexLaforge
Influencer

Post by AlexLaforge »

Hi Shestakov,

Thank you for your clean and quick answer.
It is very useful, and undoubtful !
Your 3 lines are more useful than 11 ask/reply tickets from which I've tried to get some juice during the last exhausting 10 days with the support team.

Support guys are probably too skilled.

The big problem is just that, when after having read the docs and elaborated a precise scenario, I'm asking a hand-crafted-closed-question "Can I do AAA ?", and that the support guys do not answer by "Yes, you can" or "No, you can't", but instead by "You could do another thing" :/ When I'm talking about Apples, I'm OK to hear about Apricots, but also about my initial question (the Apples).

Thank you for your useful answer, again !
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Alex, don`t hesitate asking!
Could you provide your support cases numbers so we can work on the support level improvement?
There is also an advanced search which is really helpful as it has answers on most of the questions.
AlexLaforge
Influencer

Post by AlexLaforge »

Hi Shestakov,

I obviously use the integrated search form, read the Veeam White papers carefully (they usually have a good level of quality), read through the product documentation, and read forums topics before asking the Veeam support :)
So being not answered as professionally as I take the time to carefully write my questions is just totally frustrating, time-consuming, and deceptive.

If you are interested into trying something, here are the concerned support cases :
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Good to know papers and docs are also useful.
I`ll forward the feedback to the support management if you don`t mind.
Thanks!
AlexLaforge
Influencer

Post by AlexLaforge »

Sure, you can !