Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
tacioandrade
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Tácio Andrade

Backup being canceled due to network intermittent

Post by tacioandrade »

Good night, I was doing backup tests of my VPS for my local server, but whenever I ran the full backup, due to small internet flashes (they were not downs but yes, abrupt reduction of the upload link of the company due to some upload being Veeam Agent on the VPS was canceled.
In the final version, the Veeam Agent will have better treatment for small link fluctuations (will try to send the backup a few more times instead of making an error in the middle of the process), or will it not be changed?

PS: The upload of the company from which it was receiving the link is 5Mbps and the variations in the period of the errors, made the Veeam Agent have freedom of use of more than 1Mbps (released via QoS).

Sincerely, Tácio Andrade.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup being canceled due to network intermittent

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Can not answer your questions directly.
One of the options would be to install a B&R Server onsite and backup to it. Then use our Backup Copy Jobs (with WAN Acceleration => Support resume on disconnects) to upload the data to another B&R Server on the other site?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

In the current version (v1.0 GA) there is indeed no treatment for this however we'll see this as a feature request from your side. As Andy said you could use a local VBR server and store all VAL backups on a central server first before sending them offsite.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
tacioandrade
Enthusiast

Post by tacioandrade »

I understand, waiting eagerly for the final version. About VBR The problem is that the locations where my VPSs are stored Digital Oceane Vultr do not have VMs support in Windows.

Thank you very much for the help.

nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The current version is already the GA version. The beta ended months ago so your request would be for an upcoming release :-).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
tacioandrade
Enthusiast

Post by tacioandrade »

vmniels wrote:The current version is already the GA version. The beta ended months ago so your request would be for an upcoming release :-).
I understand, a pity this gives, because even in LAN networks, link drop problems can occur and drop back completely on account of a few seconds without traffic is something that can compromise and quite a few projects.

I hope this functionality comes out in a future version 1.1 for example.

Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Tácio,

thanks for the feedback. The transport engine is the same that we use since years at all of our products and feedback there is quite good at LAN areas and a lot of customers use it over WAN as well. Indeed WAN is by design not stable and that's why we introduced the WAN accelerators which reduce data transport and bring resume on disconnect (see my described scenario above). So there is a solution today. As more customers will use the Agents over WAN we will look into this.