Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
praxxzz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Markus Praxenthaler

Backup Copy Job does not delete old chain

Post by praxxzz »

Hello guys,

I'm pretty new to Veeam and i have a few questions.

On a new client of us we set up Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5. We created normal Backup Jobs for the VMWare Infrastructure. This works fine. The Backup is saved on an Synology 8-bay NAS. A RDX Drive is connected to the NAS. We created a Backup Repository for the RDX Drive. Now we have a Backup Copy Job with 7 Restore Points. The RDX Tape is being changed every Monday. So we should have 7 Restore Points and i would guess that the old files on the RDX Tape should be delete. But thats the problem now.
We put in a new RDX Tape on Monday. The tape got the files from 2 weeks ago on it. (We have 3 RDX Tapes). Now on Monday night the Backup Copy Job ran and it created a new full backup file. But the old files are still on the tape and i don't want that because it is only 2 TB. The Tape should start from new.
Is this possible or is something wrong with my configuration???

Another client of us uses Veeam for a few months now as well. He has 3 RDX Tapes as well. But the wants to change the Tape every day. Do you guys have a Best Practice for this situation? Is it good to use a Backup Copy Job in this situation???

I hope you can help me.
And sorry in adavance for my bad english as i am from germany :D :D

mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

Re: Backup Copy Job does not delete old chain

Post by mma »

Hi Markus

Backup copy Job is the correct "thing" for your setup.

Did you configre the RDX repository for rotated drives?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Keep in mind, that Veeam only starts a new chain and does not delete any old backups from your RDX after it is reconnected.
You have to delete them manually, by pre.job script or registry key.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1154

By default, repositories configured for rotated media do not delete any backup files when disks are swapped. If a disk containing a previous backup is to be re-used, but lacks sufficient available space for new backup files, the old files must be deleted manually, or by a pre-job script.

Retention policy is enforced, but only on the current backup chain. For example, consider a backup copy job that creates restore points every hour, with disks swapped once per day, and retention policy set to 6 restore points. Once there are 7 restore points on the current disk (a full backup file and 6 incremental backup files), the oldest increment is merged with the full backup file so that there are 6 restore points on disk. The disk is swapped out for a new one, and the process repeats. When the first disk is re-used, the 6 backup files still on the disk are ignored. A new full backup file is created, and a new chain of incremental files. At the end of the day, there are 12 restore points on disk, with only the most recent 6 visible in the Veeam Backup & Replication console.

An alternative behavior is available as a registry setting (below).

Deleting Files When Disks are Rotated

When this registry setting is enabled (set to 3 or 5), jobs using a repository configured for rotated media will main-tain retention normally until the job detects that previously-available files are missing.

Create this value on the Veeam Backup and Replication server:

HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
ForceDeleteBackupFiles (DWORD)

Set to 3 to make the job delete the entire contents of the backup job’s folder only.
Set to 5 to make the job delete the entire contents of the root backup repository folder, potentially deleting any files belonging to other jobs. Note that if the backup repository points at the volumes root folder, the entire volume's contents are erased.

The Veeam Backup Service must be restarted after creating this registry value. Make sure no jobs or restores are running before restarting this service.

Regards
Marcel
praxxzz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Markus Praxenthaler

Re: Backup Copy Job does not delete old chain

Post by praxxzz »

Hi Marcel,

thanks for the quick reply. I will try it out and talk back if it worked or not :)