Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pmalinov
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

VEEAM Seeding Problems

Post by pmalinov »

So I seeded my really large file server to a USB drive, selected my destination (192.168.50.7 -- ESX2-DS1) and then moved the USB drive to the Data Center.
Usig FastSCP I copied the folder containing all the seeded files to the same (192.168.50.7 -- ESX2-DS1 - VeeamBackup).

Now when I try to run a replication job it immediately fails with the following error message:
"Initializing target session
Storage file '/vmfs/volumes/4cf8ef7d-4dec4250-a8c0-842b2b08081f/VeeamBackup/MCCFILE(vm-30)/2010-12-03T150701.vbk' is missing from host '192.168.50.7'. If you are using initial replica seeding, please follow the instruction from the readme.txt file in the chosen seeding location. If you changed replica destination in the replication job settings, please make sure you have moved all replica files to the new destination correctly."

Strangely, when I look at the readme.txt file from the (192.168.50.7 -- ESX2-DS1 - VeeamBackup - File Server folder), it says: "Copy this folder to the following datastore:
192.168.50.7 [ESX2-DS2] VeeamBackup/MCCFILE(vm-30)"

That ESX2-DS2 is a different data store on that server that I cant use for that VM due to file size, and it is weird that I have not specified anywhere that I want to replicate to that data store.

Any help or suggestions of how to fix this?
I need to do start replicating that VM as soon as possible (critical machine)

Thank you!
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Re: VEEAM Seeding Problems

Post by pmalinov »

I just tried editing the readme.txt file and change the path to the correct one, but after running the job that failed again, it changed the path to the wrong one.
I also tried editing the replication job to make sure that I have the correct path, and that also did not work.

I am stuck....
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Peter,

I was about to ask to re-check replica destination, but you've already done this.
Please contact our support team - they will help you and will schedule a webex if necessary.
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

I will contact them, but so far my experience hasn't been very good with them. I can never get someone to start working on a problem right away, and in some cases I have to wait a day or two, which I dont have right now.

Any other suggestions?
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

I contacted support and it turned out that I have been trying to replicate an old seed job for that VM....
We did a trial seed to the USB drive a couple of weeks ago, and I must have placed that one onthe replication hosts instead of the new one.

A new seed to USB and then offload to the DR ESX host should fix the problem.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Peter, thank you for keeping us informed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

pmalinov wrote:I will contact them, but so far my experience hasn't been very good with them. I can never get someone to start working on a problem right away, and in some cases I have to wait a day or two, which I dont have right now.

Any other suggestions?
According to timestamps on your posts, it took support less than an hour this time ;) now how cool is that?

Anyway, my suggestion on faster support response times would be to consider upgrading to our premium support program. Standard support is only provided during business hours, and combined with its target response times this does mean that you can wait for up to a few days for response on lower severity issues, depending on when you submit the support case. For example, if you submit support case on Friday afternoon, you are very likely to only get answer on Monday - as target response time only counts business hours... check out the support policy, it explains everything in great details.

Premium support has twice lower response times, and it is 24/7, so wait no longer matters on when you submit the support case.

In all cases, this forum is definitely the last place you want to use to get faster technical support :D because as explained when you click New Topic, this is not a support forum, and the team behind this forum simply cannot assist with troubleshooting any technical issues. We do try to respond promptly to all other inquiries, which I concur may give false sense of hope that we can assist equally well with any technical issues as well (but this is not the case) :wink:

Thank you!
pmalinov
Enthusiast

Post by pmalinov »

I am aware that it is not a support forum, but it is a very good resource for people that try to multitask and I do appreciate you!