Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sstoveld
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve Stoveld

RPC Server Unavailable

Post by sstoveld »

Hey guys, currently coming across an intermittent issue. I had a case opened, case number 01788884, but we decided it wasn't a technical issue with Veeam, and more of an issue with our server, looking for some help on how to troubleshoot this.

We had Veeam 8 set up on a server, everything was running fine. We decided to move it to a new server and upgrade to Veeam 9. We had some issues restoring the config, so we scrapped it and set our jobs back up from scratch. Everything is set up, running 9.0.0.1491 Update 1. When all is well, everything runs smooth. Intermittently, and more often than not, jobs start failing, giving an error that the RPC server in unavailable.

Code: Select all

Task failed. Failed to expand object App3. Error: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
So on the Virtual Machines tab, I select my Hyper-V server, and none of the VMs are showing up. I try to Rescan, and discovery fails, stating the RPC server is unavailable.

During this time, I can ping my Hyper-V host, the name resolves no problem, firewalls are disabled, everything should be good, but Veeam can't see my VMs on the host.

Then after some time, the VMs show back up under my Hyper-V host, jobs run flawlessly, complete, no issues. It's an intermittent issue.

I look in the event viewer, and I see corresponding errors for failed jobs:

Code: Select all

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer (computer name) using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID     1054 (C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe).
I've checked to make sure RPC services are running on both my server running Veeam and my Hyper-V host, firewalls disabled, dns resolution seems fine, connectivity seems fine.

Any ideas what else I should be checking?

Thanks
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: RPC Server Unavailable

Post by nielsengelen »

Did you contact support already for assistance? Pasting log snippets doesn't really give a good few on what might be the issue.

RPC errors can be related to several things such as DNS or firewall issues. Which Windows server are you running on your hosts & veeam server?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
sstoveld
Novice

Post by sstoveld »

Yes I did contract support, but they said this is more of a server issue than a veeam issue.

I've disabled Windows firewall, computer names are resolving correctly

Running Windows server 2012 r2
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Did you consider reinstalling Windows on this server by doing clean install?
sstoveld
Novice

Post by sstoveld »

I haven't considered that yet, as this was a new server instance we just set up to move Veeam onto
mattmoore
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by mattmoore »

Interested to know if this was resolved.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Matt, I do not see any additional details in the OP's case except that it was an intermittent problem that sounded more like a connectivity issue rather than Veeam B&R related. If you experience any particular errors, please contact technical support directly for investigation. Thanks.
kevin_lane
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Lane

Post by kevin_lane »

have you checked your DNS?

or try this

test RPC connectivity from the server you are on to another computer/server using the following command:
Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem –ComputerName OTHERSERVER

if it works then you should see results
sstoveld
Novice

Post by sstoveld » 1 person likes this post

The issue actually was resolved. We were on a support call with Dell for another issue with our Dell server which is the Hyper-V host, and asked him to take a look to see if he could figure it out.

After a couple hours, he did find a fix. Damned if I could remember what it was though. I believe it was a setting on the local NIC adapter that did the trick.

-----------

After some investigation, I believe changing the NetBIOS setting on the VM host NIC was what did the trick. Changed it from 'Default' to 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'

Under Advanced TCP/IP Settings > WINS tab. Screenshot below

http://i.imgur.com/kkY2CzJ.png