Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bavosod
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Bavoso

Oracle logs not being deleted

Post by bavosod »

Hi Guys,

I need someone's help please! some good soul...

What is the case:

We have a lot of oracle databases running on Linux Red Hat.

I have setup Application Aware Backup for all Oracle 11 and 12, and all the database backups run fine. No problems with begin/end backup and Veeam deletes the oracle logs at the end of the job. All Successful! OK! I can browse the instances via Oracle Explorer normally.

But, the oracle redo log jobs simply don't delete the logs as I specify on the job. No matter the option I choose, "delete logs over XXX GB" or "delete log older than XXXX hours", Veeam does not delete de logs and I had to create a crontab job to run a script to remove the logs from oracle directory after it looks into the log /var/log/VeeamBackup/Agent.LogBackup_cli.log and find the "uploaded" logs). Just a temporary solution to avoid getting the Databases running fine.

I have spend a lot of time trying to fix it, but I can't find anything because in the logs no errors are showed related to this. VeeamOracleAgent.log does not show anything but all operations and oracle commands being performed successfully. The logs on Veeam Server generated by the job don't show any error either! So, why Veeam don't remove the logs? It's happening on all servers!

- the user being used to perform the backups has access to root via sudo;
- it is defined on DBA group and Oinstall, being SYSDBA;
- I already tried using another oracle user SYSDBA and problem persists;
- oracle logs are generated with DBA or Oinstall groups, so could not be a permission issue, even why I can remove the logs with rman manually with the same user Veeam uses, after setting Oracle_home and oracle_sid, like Veeam does when it is starting the oracle redo log backup.

Other questions is: Veeam uses rman to remove the logs? or just a RM after backing up the log?

Can you please help me? what is going on? Veeam is awesome but this is really not cool....

I had opened the support case 02079781, but as i could not send the remaining logs in time, it was closed.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Oracle logs not being deleted

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forums. Do you have the logs now? Please open a new support case (or re-open the old one). Troubleshooting will be the most effective over a support call.

Thanks
Mike
bavosod
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Bavoso

Re: Oracle logs not being deleted

Post by bavosod »

Hi Mike,

Yes i am going to reopen the case....