Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
madison@kinetix.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Madison Samford

File that proves Veeam is backing up (case #02109076)

Post by madison@kinetix.com »

Hello,

So to understand my question, I would like to give a little background. We are an MSP that manages many Veeam backups across multiple clients/networks. We are recreating a process that double checks to make sure we are successfully backing up all VMs that we manage.

Goal: Based on a report we run that lists current VMs, we would like to ensure that we are backing up all devices with Veeam.

Ideally, we would like to create a script that will find a file or registry key that will verify Veeam is installed. As this doesn't comply with the way Veeam backups work, we realize this might not be possible.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we could base our script on to ensure that Veeam backups are running?

I talked to your support but they pointed me towards the forum. Case #02109076

Thank you,
Madison
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: File that proves Veeam is backing up (case #02109076)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

HI Madison,

If you're using multiple backup servers (one per each client), then I would suggest to take a look at Veeam Availability Console (specifically built for MSPs). It is scheduled to be released later this year.

If you're backing up VMs of your clients with a single backup server, then Veeam ONE should be a way to go with its predefined backup report templates (take a look at Protected VMs report).

Thanks!
madison@kinetix.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Madison Samford

Post by madison@kinetix.com »

Hello,

Thank you so much for your suggestion, though that is not exactly what I am looking for.

What we are trying to do: we want to write a script that will search all of our VMs for some kind of proof that Veeam is backing the servers. Once we get an automated list of all servers that are being backed up by Veeam, then we are going to test all backups by doing routine Instant Restores.

So my question is, what is the best way to get an automated list of all servers being backed up by Veeam? Maybe we need to have a matching process where we match the name of the backup target folder to the name of a job?? Or if there is a specific file that all Veeam-backed servers have installed on them? Ideally we want to run a script on all of our agents searching for something that will prove Veeam backed up the data.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
Thank you so much for your suggestion, though that is not exactly what I am looking for.
If I got it right, you are looking for some sort of tool/script that will show you if the VM is backed up. First thing to note is that Veeam does not install anything inside VM (unless you use Veeam Agents to backup VMs) so there is nothing like file or registry key to look for. The only sign that some VM is backed up is the fact that it is added to an existing backup job and the job throws no errors. As Vitaly's said, there is a reporting tool that provides you with a complete overview of VMs that have/haven't been added to backup jobs.

If for some reason you don't want to use the abovementioned report, please feel free to search in this subforum for a script that will provide you with a list of VMs that are added into a job. Please also consider looking at built-in notification options.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The easiest way to achived this will probably be enabling the feature that makes backup job put last backup time in the selected VM attribute, and then use a PowerCLI script to build a report with VM names which attribute's value is Now minus 7 days for instance (meaning no backups in the past week). Then if the list is not empty, script would email one to all the people who need to be aware.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, it might be worth checking this report (take a closer look at Protected section). Thanks.
ddayton
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Don Dayton

Post by ddayton »

Just a thought to throw out there. Could you use the backup job setting to exexcute an external program/batch before and after the job. This could be used to update a common shared file or something that you could report off of. Good luck!
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

ddayton wrote:Just a thought to throw out there. Could you use the backup job setting to exexcute an external program/batch before and after the job. This could be used to update a common shared file or something that you could report off of. Good luck!
Couldn't the automated job notification email be used for this?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Our colleague Tom Sightler created this script and we updated it one year ago, maybe it can help you?
http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/back ... 6-edition/
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1