Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danm66
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Danny McDaniel

chained backup jobs

Post by danm66 »

Sorry if this is an elementary question but I'm not very experienced with Veeam...

The previous sysadmin has only scheduled 5 backups for ~75 guests. Each scheduled job has a 'post job activity' that calls a batch file to backup a different vm, and that job calls another job, and so on...up to a total of 11-17 chained backups. The scheduled jobs start 15 min apart so I'm not sure what the advantage is of doing it this way except to make sure that one backup job failure can cause others to be missed :shock: .

Most of the vm's are on a SAN but a few are in a DMZ standalone server that we have to use NBT for, but the vast majority are going across FC. Also, we're currently using 4.1 and I am looking at upgrading to 5.0.

Is there any reason/benefit to scheduling the backups in a chain like this or should I just be scheduling the backups so that I'm only running 5 or so at a time, or???

Tks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: chained backup jobs

Post by Gostev »

Hello Danny, I personally do not see much benefits chaining jobs like that. Running a few jobs in parallel is just fine, and many of our customers are doing that. You do not want to run too many parallel job though, as this will result in source and target storage congestion. Optimal number is between 2 and 4 concurrent jobs (look at CPU load on backup server too when all jobs actually start copying the data). Thanks!
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Post by stevil »

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Is it possible to backup AND replicate the same VM simultaneously? I have a few critical VM's that I do this with each night.

Cheers
Steve
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Post by stevil »

Looking at some of our logs it looks like I've answered my own question, and it's a no.

"Failed to process VM "XXXXXXXXX" (Host "XXXXXXXXX") because it is already being processed by another job"
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

You cannot backup and replicate at the same time, since that VM is locked by single job.
Here is a workaround how you can do one thing just after another finishes: Re: Backup and Replication - Implications of Overlap?