Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
great_vc
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vassilis

After succesful restore, outlook re-downloads all my email

Post by great_vc »

Hi, Bare with me it's going to be a long post :)

I had some issues with google chrome which i couldn't overpass so i decided to try and restore my system. I did a successful restore of volume c: of Saturday's backup, and then one from last Sunday 1/4/2017. Everything looks nice except a weird thing with outlook. When i first open outlook 2016 it said "preparing mailbox for first time use", and even though all my settings, customization of toolbar and account settings were ok, the mailbox (.ost i assume, exchange 2013 account) was blank and it started re downloading all my email again and creating the .ost again. I don't know why this is happened, maybe something to do with large file sizes, as my old .ost was >8GB.

I'm not complaining, everything is as suppose to be, it took some time to re download everything but now it is ok, more of a telling you that this happened.

Ok, for the second part now. What happens with veeam backup now after the restore, as you can see i have this on my application

Even though on disk i have yesterdays backup, the application shows 13 days which is before the restore. Should i purge something ? delete ? or the app will do a full backup and purge on its own. What is the situation after a restore ?

Windows 10 32bit, fully updated, Endpoint Protection v1.5.0.306

Many thanks
Regards,
Vassilis

p.s: Fantastice product BTW, i couldnt imagine that i would successufl restore so easily my computer
B&R v12, Suite
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: After succesful restore, outlook re-downloads all my ema

Post by nielsengelen »

How is your backup job configured? How many restore point do you keep? Normally if you take a backup it will just clean up according to the retention however you can take a new 'Active full backup' by rightclicking on the icon in the taskbar.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

Forgot to mention, backup files are stored in QNAP NAS which was not affected by any restore.
The backup is configured as an entire computer, with 5 days retention
So if i run manually a "full backup" from options it will delete all old incremental ?
B&R v12, Suite
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Looking at your screenshot the backup didn't run for a few days so it's normal nothing was merged/deleted. Have a look at how retention works in the agent for more clarification: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/15/retention.html

Best would be to just run the backup job every day and you'll have the correct amount of points (5).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

I backup my backups and deleted them from the repository since a new full one should be made. I run a manual backup and i will wait for the rest of the jobs to be purged during the week.

Any ideas on why i got the problem with outlook profile mentioned on my first post ?
B&R v12, Suite
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Vassilis,

Nothing abnormal actually. What happens is this: You restore from a backup but that backup is (at the moment of the snapshot) not yet known so when you do a restore it is not visible in the database or the UI. But it does (obviously) exist since you restored from it :-). While it is not visible the chain won't have an issue and everything will just continue after that.

For your OST. That is also normal. OST is excluded from a snapshot by default so you literally can't restore it. But since everything is protected, Outlook knows the config, starts, can't find the OST and creates a new one and starts downloading. Considering your 8 GB it indeed does take a bit of time

Hope the explanation helps
Mike
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

ah ok Mike i see.
Thank you very much for these useful responses.
B&R v12, Suite