Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
gct_mf
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

VAW 2.0 Central Management / File Restore without admin / ..

Post by gct_mf »

Hi hi,

I'm testing VAW 2.0 for a company. Goal is to get an easy solution for our end-point-users to secure and restore their files and to monitor the backups centrally (are no backups done since etc...).

For this reason, I am backing up my entire test machine to a Veeam backup Repository (Backup & Replication 9.5).
  • Is it possible to roll out VAW 2.0 and to manage the configuration (licenses, backup jobs, schedules) centrally? E.g. I can't edit the Job in B&R and can't select the test machine as source.
  • Actually, the Computer prompts me every time to Input administrator credentials when opening submenus in the console. For configuration changes and entire Computer restores that's ok for me but for a simple file Level restores I prefer to be able to do that without administration credentials. Is that possible?
  • Is an update from the newest beta to the full version possible?
  • Is there already a release window planed for the full Version? I don't need an exact date but is it planned/realistically next month or the next 3 months / 6 months? (our licenses of our old product are at their end of live and we don’t want to expand them if VAW 2.0 will be available within a given range)
Kind Regards and thanks’ a lot for your help.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: VAW 2.0 Central Management / File Restore without admin

Post by jmmarton »

1) No you can't manage VAW 2.0 configuration in the VBR console. This requires something like scripting or GPOs, or if you have a fair number of agents you can use the upcoming Veeam Availability Console to do this.

2) I believe you have to be a local administrator to perform configuration and restore activities but I'll let others confirm.

3) It will not be supported to upgrade from beta to GA.

4) GA should be available soon. The last few forum weekly digest e-mails give the details on the current tentative schedule.

Joe
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

In addition to Joe's responses

1) Yes, if you have a decent amount of agents (paid editions - both server and workstation you will be able to use the Veeam Availability Console to manage all of that. Also, in the paid editions you can use the API to export and import configuration and centrally distribute it with GPO, SCCM or any other software distribution tool of your choice

2) Joe is correct: our explorer to browse the backups requires local administrator rights. But this is a frequent request and we will count this as an additional vote to the request :-)

3) Correct, that will not be supported

4) the next 3 months is certainly realistically. The release of GA is dependent on the release of VBR 9.5 update 2 which will be necessary to support VBR as a repository

Cheers
Mike
gct_mf
Influencer

Post by gct_mf »

Thank's a lot for your help.

So for the stable Version of VAW 2.0 I also have to update the B&R-Server Version while the beta is running with the currently installed.
3 Month is maybe too long and without an upgrade from beta to stable we wouldn't have a backup solution for the clients.
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

You could have the customer use the current Endpoint Backup 1.5 release if they need immediate protection. They'll be able to upgrade from that to the VAW 2.0 release.

Joe
WingDog
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kirill

Post by WingDog »

jmmarton wrote: 2) I believe you have to be a local administrator to perform configuration and restore activities but I'll let others confirm.
you should not believe - you should look around. this is endpoint solution and this is solution for users, not admins.
endpoint solution should be able to perform file-level restore without any admins - it's a must.

I'm trying to switch from Symantec (Veritas) DLO to VAW and can't find a suitable solution because of VAW backup logic - Entire computer or some folders/Disks.
it's not a endpoint solution. this is enduser solution. feel the difference (c).
with Symantec I have policies for backup strategy and autoprovision for PC and Users, so every user at every PC in entire company can do the following things with his data:
- backup
- restore

VAW can't provide this at all. I should do a full PC copy or forced to specify some folders, but... User can't get his data.
gct_mf
Influencer

Post by gct_mf »

Now the stable is available and we'll try to get in the early adopters program.

On more problem I face: How can I restore files to another system when I backup into an B&R server repository? E.g.: A notebook is stolen and I want to restore the files from backup repository to a server, shared drive, or want to restore to a new computer (only file level).
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

Use the VBR console to initiate FLR, then in the Veeam Backup Browser choose "copy to" rather than "restore" for the files/folders you wish to restore. This allows you to restore to an alternate location.

Joe
gct_mf
Influencer

Post by gct_mf »

:shock: i was blind.. Thanks a lot
gct_mf
Influencer

Post by gct_mf »

So my costumer finally decided for using VAW 2.0 :)
Regarding to my first question: Central Rollout and Management
Now I wan't to give VAC an chance. But everytime I try to get Information for this I found something like "you need Cloud connect"
What are the preconditions for usinf VAC for Managing VAW 2.0 Clients (is VBR needed in this context at all or can I monitor the backup Jobs with VAC too?)

thank's a lot for your great help
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi gct_mf

I see the confusion and our apologies for it. It is true that you need "cloud connect" from a technical perspective, meaning that you need parts of the cloud connect infrastructure to achieve what you want to do. It is not true from a licensing perspective. VAC can be a single server installation and will have the following components: VAC, Veeam Cloud Connect Server, Cloud Gateway server.

PS: did you heard that we announced support for managing VAW clients is coming to VBR itself?
gct_mf
Influencer

Post by gct_mf »

Thanks, good to know.

When do you plan to integrate the management into VBR and is it planned to integrate the rollout feature into vbr also? I have to start with my projekt in round about 2 weeks :shock:
Is a .msi package available? I only saw .exe installers.

Thanks for all :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi gct_mf,

Unfortunately in 2 weeks we won't be shipping this. So maybe you can wait for central management and in the mean time use the workstation/ server edition and use the configuration to deploy them (and point them to a VBR repository). When the integration is out, you can then take them into central management (How many in total are we talking about? Does the customer has SCCM or similar?)

There is indeed just an .exe but you know how to open those and find the msi's inside right ;-)
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Mike Resseler wrote:PS: did you heard that we announced support for managing VAW clients is coming to VBR itself?
I heard that, but I've already waited nearly 6 months for the Veeam Availability Console; I can't wait another 4-6 months for V10 to be released.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@David,

I understand, but unfortunately I can't do magic. I also can't comment on timelines since I don't know these.

Sorry
Mike