Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

large physical server

Post by frankive »

Hi.
We have a customer with an SBS 2011 installation and with a datavolume of 10 TB.
Any issue with using Veeam for Windows on this server?
With a backupdrive on 12 TB and forever incremental, with 7 days retention it should work?

Would you use Endpoint 1.5 or VAW beta if you had to install it today?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: large physical server

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Frank,

Yes it works. I have seen people use VEB on larger volumes but be aware that the first one is full and can take quite some time so do your first ever in the weekend :-)
12 TB does seem a bit close. It all depends on the daily churn. Another thing is that after the 7 days, a merge needs to happen and I fear that you won't have enough space to be able to do that merge. What type of backupdrive is it? Is it a volume inside the server? Is it a different storage? Can you expand it?

Personally I would wait a little bit longer since we are getting close (as Anton stated in one of his latest digests) to the GA version of VAW

My 2 cents
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: large physical server

Post by Dima P. »

Frank,

Should be ok. I’d recommend to disable backup throttling (Control Panel > Settings) and schedule backup to run while resource consumption wont interrupt regular server’s activity.

Go with VEB 1.5 – we will support upgrade to VAW 2.0 when it goes GA.