Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
THECLOSER
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: mark myers

snapshot problems

Post by THECLOSER »

I am getting this error. can some one advise me. i am fairly new to veaam. I have been seeing several errors like this or similar on other VM,s.
Backup: term01-port4005 backup (Retry)
Created at: 10/16/2010 9:05:15 AM Created by: CONTROLLER\Administrator
Session Details
Status Error Start time 12/9/2010 10:11:30 PM Details

Total VMs 1 End time 12/9/2010 10:12:12 PM
Processed VMs 1 Duration 0:00:41
Successful VMs 0 Total size 68.01 GB
Failed VMs 1 Processed size 0.00 KB
VMs in progress 0 Processing rate 0 KB/s

Processed Objects
VM name Status Start time End time Total files Processed files Total size Processed size Processing rate Duration Details
term1-ip-30-port-4005 Error 12/9/2010 10:11:48 PM 12/9/2010 10:12:12 PM 6 0 68.01 GB 0.00 KB 0 KB/s 0:00:23 Creating snapshot CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-41", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

Ty mark
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: snapshot problems

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mark,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums, kindly please search for your error before creating the new topic.
http://www.veeam.com/forums/search.php? ... d+snapshot

Thank you!
virtualwatts
Enthusiast
Full Name: Rick Watts

Post by virtualwatts »

Hi Mark -
We are also experiencing that problem - we are in day 9 of certain key servers not being backed up because of the error. I have Sev2 tickets with both Veeam and VMware.

Right now Veeam has handed over to VMware - here's how we were able to reproduce the problem without any Veeam involvement - hope this helps get you to a faster resolution:

In VMware - highlight the vm guest, right mouse click, Snapshot -> Take Snapshot
Name the snapshot
Then select memory = false (unchecked) and quiesce = true (checked).
If you reproduce the error then it is likely a VMware issue and you should open a ticket.
If the snapshot succeeds then it is likely Veeam.

VMware has not yet been able to determine the cause of our problem so if you get a resolution please post.

Rick
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Hi,

please be so kind and write a little more about your environment.

ESX/i Version?
What kind of storage?
RAID Level of Storage?
How many spindles?
Interface for storage access (FC/iSCSI/NFS/???)
Size of VM you are doing the snapshot with (including ALL Vdisks)?
Number of VDisks?
Guest OS?
Number of Guest CPUs?
How much Guest Memory?
Do you take the snapshot during high I/O loads?
What is running inside the guest OS? (Database Server/Fileserver/???)

If you are using ESXi < 4.1 please upgrade to ESXi 4.1 as snapshot operations were enormously enhanced in this version.

Best regards,
Joerg
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

If affected VMs run Windows, you may want to enable application-aware processing in backup job properties (I assume you are running v5), this should help because this disables VMware quiescence and enables Veeam proprietary process (which, if fail, we will be able to support you with - unlike with VMware quiescence).
reubenvanderzwaag
Novice
Full Name: Reuben VanderZwaag

[MERGED] Veeam Free Edition - Cannot run Quiesced backup

Post by reubenvanderzwaag »

Hey all! We have a few clients with payed version of Veeam backup and a few with the free version. I am having a problem backing up a clients VM with the free version of Veeam backup. It keeps returning with the error "Creating snapshot Error: Operation timed out." I have tried reinstalling VMWare tools multiple times with and without the VSS option selected. I've also received this error message. "Creating snapshot Error: Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine." Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Reuben,

Can you please tell me if you're able to create a quiesced snapshot of this VM using vSphere Client?

Thanks!
reubenvanderzwaag
Novice

Vitaliy S., I am able to create snapshots on this virtual machine with and without the Snapshot the virtual machine's memory and Quiescence option checked. I have also re-installed VMWare tools multiple times, once with the VSS option unchecked, once with the complete option checked, and now am back to normal. This is a DL380 G4 running one VM. We are running a SQL database and sharing out a QB database as well on the server. We are running ESXi 4.1 on the host. We are also backing up other machines on different hosts with this software without any issue.

Reuben
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...Veeam backup free edition creates the snapshot in the same manner as vSphere Client does it with quiescence option enabled. Try to perform VeeamZIP job again and if it doesn't work, please contact our support team for further investigation.
reubenvanderzwaag
Novice

Vitaliy S. wrote:Well...Veeam backup free edition creates the snapshot in the same manner as vSphere Client does it with quiescence option enabled. Try to perform VeeamZIP job again and if it doesn't work, please contact our support team for further investigation.
Vitaliy S., Does Veeam support their free product? I do have live support with a few other clients but i figured they wouldn't support the free version so posted the issue on this forum.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you're referring to ESX(i) free, then this version is not supported (also depending on ESXi version, backups may work).
Here is the related discussion > Veeam with vSphere 5 Hypervisor (e.g. free ESXi) works...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I guess Reuben means Veeam B&R Free edition here, which we do provide support for according our support policy. Just note that their response in this case is not guaranteed (depends on the current support load from paid editions customers).