Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cag
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Conrad Gotzmann

How do you completly delete a proxy.

Post by cag »

After changing the password used to install the proxy software, the proxy no longer works. I get a message

3/7/2012 5:55:35 PM :: Resource not ready: VI proxy. I did not find any way of changing a password for the proxy. So I tried deleting the proxy, uninstalled the software on the proxy to start again.
When re-adding the proxy I would get the error.
Windows server error with IP address already exists. Just selected from the drop down I see the proxy wasn't deleted ( maybe cached ??? )

Only option I could do was change the IP address and start again. This worked but there must be a better way ??????
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: How do you completly delete a proxy.

Post by tsightler »

So I'm thinking that you are removing the "proxy" role, but not actually removing the server. For a system to be used as a proxy in the "Backup Infrastructure" node, it must be added to the "Server" node. In the navigation tree expand the "Servers" node and you should see the server listed there. This is where you can change the password for the server, or completely remove the server from Veeam.
cag
Enthusiast
Full Name: Conrad Gotzmann

Post by cag »

Ok I see this now. Would be nice if the remove proxy then also removed the server if not used.
Thanks... I now see where I should have changed the login info.

Now I can clean up old proxies.
y1008946
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Proxy already exists

Post by y1008946 »

Hi I was doing some tidying up by deleting old jobs, servers, proxies, etc

And I deleted a current proxy by mistake.

When I try re add it, it says VMware backup proxy already exists on server

So I'm not able to re add it back

Thanks for any advice
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
the explanation is provided above in the thread. But the way, I would suggest to make configuration backup once and again for a cases of incidents.
Thanks!
y1008946
Enthusiast

Post by y1008946 »

Thanks for your reply

I can't delete the server as it has the backup repository on it for the backup copy jobs
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What Nikita suggested is re-assigning proxy role to the server, instead of re-adding the server. If re-assigning proxy role doesn't work, check whether the proxy server is not shown under Backup Proxies node.

If not and re-assigning still fails, kindly, reach our support team for further assistance, as db modification might be needed.
spf62
Enthusiast
Full Name: Steve Fritsch

[MERGED] Re: Error - replica already exists

Post by spf62 »

I am having a very similar issue.

Veeam 9.5 latest update
I added a new Backup repository, which went fine. When I tried adding the proxy of the same name I get "VMware backup proxy already exists on server XYZ". I have only added the repo.

I removed the repo, uninstalled all the Veeam programs that get installed on the repo when adding. Rebooted the repo, reboot Veeam and then re-added the repo, then I tried to ad the proxy. Same error.

I have done this many times with other repo's and proxies (we have 13 of them) and never had this issue.

Any help is appreciated
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Steve, I've remerged your post since the thread you've initially posted in is completely unrelated. Please check whether the server is already listed under the Backup Proxies node and follow the recommendations in the post right above yours.
matban
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by matban » 1 person likes this post

I had a similar problem and this was the only page I could find referencing the "VMware backup proxy already exists on server" error.
In my case the cause seemed to be, that there were duplicate "physical_host_id" values in dbo.Hosts table of the SQL server. These seem to be derived from the virtual machines UUID of the backup proxies. These can be checked via PowerCLI with:

Code: Select all

Get-VM <vmname> | %{(Get-View $_.Id).config.uuid}
Should you find duplicates, first remove the new proxy VM from the "Managed servers" category in Veeam and then regenerate a new UUID for the VM:
$VM = Get-VM <vmname>
$VM|Shutdown-VMGuest
$date = get-date -format "dd hh mm ss"
$newUuid = “56 4d 50 2e 9e df e5 e4-a7 f4 21 3b” + $date
echo "VM: $($VM.Name), new UUID: $newuuid"
$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.VirtualMachineConfigSpec
$spec.uuid = $newUuid
$VM.Extensiondata.ReconfigVM_Task($spec)
$VM|Start-VM
jrbaumann
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff Baumann

[MERGED] Adding backup proxy - error - VMWare backup proxy already exists on server xxx

Post by jrbaumann »

B&R 9.5 Update 3a

Setting up 2 new proxy servers

Was able to setup the first server, shows up under Managed Servers \ Microsoft Windows and under Backup Proxies

Second one shows up under Managed Servers \ Microsoft Windows but NOT under Backup Proxies, when i choose the server to add the proxy, i receive the error "VMWare backup proxy already exists on server xxx"

I've removed it from managed servers, uninstalled the services on the server tried to reinstall it multiple times and always end up with the same error.

Not sure how to get past this.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

Jeff
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Jeff,

Please check this workaround and kindly let us know if it worked for you.

Thanks!
jrbaumann
Enthusiast

Post by jrbaumann » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the reply PTide

When running the Get-VM <vmname> I see the 2 new proxies, neither have duplicates

When i run Get-VM <vmname> | %{(Get-View $_.Id).config.uuid} I see a string of numbers and characters for each server.

Jeff
jrbaumann
Enthusiast

Post by jrbaumann » 1 person likes this post

Seeing as these were new vms, i just deleted the one that kept failing and recreated it and i was able to add it as a new proxy.

Thanks for the response.
oscaru
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oscar Suarez

Post by oscaru »

Hi,

I was having the same error, re-adding an old VM as proxy "Proxy already exists"

So after reading the post from @matban, I learned that the problem was occurring because of duplicate VM UUIDs on Veeam Database.
So I just created a new VM (it creates new UUIDs) and attached the hard disk from the former VM that was failing and I could add it again as Server on Backup Infrastructure Tab and then as proxy.
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

Yah, hitting this now, after trying to rename my proxies. Annoyed that I need to re-create them.
Veeaming since 2013