Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
keithhubner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Hubner

Testing DR site

Post by keithhubner »

Hi,

We have a DR site which we currently manually maintain ready to import data in the event our primary site fails. What I want to do is use Veeam and backup copies to bring this network up and test on a regular basis. Using a failover job to do this works well, I can failover within an isolated environment and manually test, the issue being that live backups won't work during failover. The other option is a sandbox and surebackup, however this doesn't allow we do use a backup copy as the source of the restore so data would be dragged from the production backup store (wouldn't work).

I assume others have this situation as it's pretty common, the business requires quarterly DR tests and so I am very keen to reduce the manual processing we currently have to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Keith
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Testing DR site

Post by foggy »

Hi Keith, how about replica from backups that are already copied to the remote site via backup copy jobs? This will allow primary backups to run normally during failover.
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

Hi,

yeah I actually already do replicas as using these for the failover, the issue is the IP address change. I'm not sure if this could be scripted or something?
Keith
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you mean replica re-IP rules?
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

Yeah, I believe these only apply when initiating a failover task.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct. Doesn't that allow you to perform what you're after?
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

Yes, but when a failover task is running current backups for those in failover don't run. I want to still take backups while testing DR.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

That's why I mentioned backup copy jobs. In this case local primary backups will not be affected, only backup copy jobs will wait for the tests to complete to perform their activity.
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

Yeah, but with backup copy jobs I can't change the IP addresses which I need to do. I could do this manually but I want to automate as much as I can.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can re-IP in replication jobs that use backups created by the backup copy jobs as a source: backup jobs -> backup copy jobs -> replication from backup copies.
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

As per this article:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

"Replica re-IP works only if you perform replica failover using Veeam Backup & Replication. If you power on a VM replica in some other way, for example, manually using Hyper-V Manager, re-IP rules will not be applied to it. "
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you will be able to perform failover of VMs that are replicated from the backups. Please review the link mentioned in my first post above.
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

Hi,
Yeah I have successfully done that, but, as I said before when using failover I can't take backups during failover, which I need to be able to do.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Let me chime in here.
keithhubner wrote:Yeah, but with backup copy jobs I can't change the IP addresses which I need to do. I could do this manually but I want to automate as much as I can.
This is not entirely correct. It doesn't matter if you're using backup copy jobs as a source for replication jobs or you're replicating VMs directly from production. During failover you will be able to do Re-IP.
keithhubner wrote:Yeah I have successfully done that, but, as I said before when using failover I can't take backups during failover, which I need to be able to do.
Can you please clarify that? You can definitely run backup jobs (regular) against production VMs. Failover with Re-IP should isolate DR VMs from production too, so there is no overlap. Should it resolve your issue? Sorry If missed some details from your posts.
keithhubner
Novice

Post by keithhubner »

Hi,
When a job runs which has a vm which is currently "failed over" I get the error:
"Error: Cannot process the VM because the target VM state is failover".

I appreciate this is by design as in a real failover scenario you wouldn't want new copies overwriting those being used in a new live DR site.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Are you getting this error in the backup job that backs up production VMs while you're failing over replica VMs created from the backup copy? This doesn't look expected, so I recommend contacting technical support with this.