Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RWtechnologix
Service Provider
Liked: never

SOBR design

Post by RWtechnologix »

We are about to implement a new SOBR for our Cloud Connect Repo. If yall had to redesign your SOBR infrastruture what file system would you use? Would you use all direct attached iSCSI drives or Linux?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: SOBR design

Post by Andreas Neufert »

This is a pretty though question, considering the million options the scope of this question has.

If you look for Linux Extends, block devices will deliver most likely the fastest performance. From filesystem perspective I would choose one of the newer ones. But this is up to you and what you are familiar with from administration perspective.

Can you please explain a bit what you mean with direct attached iSCSI... Do you mean iSCSI volumes from storage attached within software iSCSI initiator within linux?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: SOBR design

Post by dellock6 »

I'd say, first of all choose a solution that your team is comfortable with. If you are more windows guy, go for Windows 2016 boxes, if you are a linux shop, go for Linux servers, any major distribution is ok. My personal opinion, unless you know it really well, avoid less known distributions; not because they are not supported, but our support will probably have more experience with major ones.
Then,anything works, my choice would go for servers with local internal storage, but there's no real preference, other than using a solution (again, not mandatory, just a best practice from my experience) where the Veeam datamover can be deployed locally, it makes the design more simple as you can easily predict the data streams that will happen. Once the solution starts to scale (and with Cloud Connect, it CAN happen) the more simple the design is, the better.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1