Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
guebert
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Active Full Backups and "when backup target is connected"

Post by guebert »

Hallo!

Can anyone explain to me, how retention and scheduled active full backups work when using the trigger "when backup target is connected" and 2 rotating HDDs?

So I do it like this:

Server Win2008r2 (very small workgroup)

HDD-even - is being connected each Tuesday in weeks with "even weeknumber" (2, 4, 6, ... 52)
HDD-odd - is being connected each Tuesday in weeks with "odd weeknumber" (1, 3, 5, ... 51)

I set "keep backup for the last 10 days". So on each (!?) HDD there will be 1 full backup and 9 inc backups --> I have data of the last 20 weeks back. Right?

This was my setting with VEB 1.5

With VAW there is a feature to get periodically full backups. Now I want periodically full backups (eg every three month) to prevent data corruption.

When I set this option to "monthly, first Tuesday" on Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct what happens to the HDD which is connected on the second Tuesday in these months? What if the first Tuesday of these month is always in a week with odd number? Will there be no active full backup on the other HDD?

Many thanks for every reply!

Michael
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Active Full Backups and "when backup target is connected

Post by Mike Resseler »

Michael,

You are correct to my knowledge. There will not be an active full backup on the other HDD if it is always in a week with odd number. But on that other HDD you still have a full backup (the first one, plus those 9 incremental ones) but I understand that you want to prevent data corruption.

Is it an option for you to manually trigger an active full when the second disk is attached?
guebert
Influencer

Post by guebert » 1 person likes this post

Is it an option for you to manually trigger an active full when the second disk is attached?
Is there an alternative? ;-)

I suggest to redesign the GUI for "backups on connection of HDDs":

- Keep x number of backups (depends on connections)
- additional optional (!) setting: at least x days (not only when the PC was running, but absoltely)

eg: Keep 10 last states, at least all Backups of the last 2 month (eg when I connect the HDD three times a week, not only 10 states, but maybe 3 x 4,33 = 13 states are kept

- Make active full backup after x incremental backups (calculated per chain!)

In my case eg set it to "5" - so when I connect HDD1 for the sixth time, a full backup is being made.

Michael
dheijl
Novice
Full Name: Danny Heijl

Post by dheijl »

I suggest to redesign the GUI for "backups on connection of HDDs":
+1 for the suggestions on GUI redesign. Much clearer.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen! Much appreciated. Our DEV's are reading this and certainly will bring it to the discussion table! (But that doesn't mean it will make the next version ;-))
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

So on each (!?) HDD there will be 1 full backup and 9 inc backups
Yes.
I set this option to "monthly, first Tuesday" on Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct what happens to the HDD which is connected on the second Tuesday in these months?
Active full should be created next time when you attach your backup target
- Keep x number of backups (depends on connections)
Retention based on restore points is available in Server edition. Thanks.
guebert
Influencer

Post by guebert »

Dima P. wrote: Active full should be created next time when you attach your backup target
So VAW 2.0 does check for each connected external HDD, if the scheduled active backup has been made since the scheduled day?
Retention based on restore points is available in Server edition. Thanks.
So this would be new. Because in the past, VEP did not calculate "days" but "backups after connection". When I set it should keep backups of the last 10 days, I had 10 Backups, regardless when I connected the HDD.

This is what I meant when suggesting to redesign the GUI for backups on special events (lock of screen, connection of backup repository, etc).

Michael