Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
linchester
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Linchester

Set time for virtual full backup schedule

Post by linchester »

Support Case ID: 02178489

Hi.

This post is a feature suggestion.

I have the following situation:

Forever incremental backup (Mon-Thu) 8:00 PM.
Tape Backup Job (Set to run immediately after the end of the Primary Job)
Virtual Backup to Tape at Fridays (it will run after the end of the Friday Primary Backup Job 8:00 PM)

The problem is: if for some reason the Thursday Primary Backup job ends after midnight (i.e Friday) it will start the virtual full backup, correct? But I would want it send the incremental backup (started at Thursday) to the tape and just run the virtual backup after the Backup Job at Friday 8:00 PM.

PS: the tape backup job MUST run immediately after the end of the Primary Job. It shouldn't be scheduled in a fixed time basis (e.g every day 1:00 AM)

SUGGESTION: I believe that Veeam should allow we set not only the week day of the virtual full backup, but also the time (hour). So, I could set that tape job only starts the virtual full, e.g after Friday 12:00 PM. It would give a larger backup windows for the primary job and more time to the administrator fix the problem avoiding a wrong full backup to the tape.

Cheers.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Set time for virtual full backup schedule

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Linchester,

First: Welcome to the forums!

Second: Thank you for the suggestion. Our DEV's and PM team are following so your suggestion will certainly be looked at (but no promises ;-))

However, I am not sure if the virtual full backup will start if the Thursday backup job overruns. I would suggest to keep working with support and see what the outcome is

Thanks
Mike
linchester
Novice

Post by linchester »

Hi Mike.

I did the test and could verify that Veeam works exactly like I said.

I've set the Primary Backup (incremental) to start at Tuesday 11:30 PM and the Virtual Full to run at Wednesday. Primary tooks above an hour. So, the Tape Job started at Wednesday an ran the Virtual Full.
In a real situation, I've expected it would only copy the incremental to the tape and just run the Virtual Full after the Primary at Wednesday 11:30 PM.

Therefore, I believe my suggestion will solve this problem because I could set a time at Wednesday to run the Virtual Full (e.g. 12:00 PM). So, if the tape job starts at Wednesday before 12:00 PM, Virtual Full won't be run.

I hope this could be considered in a update soon. :)

Thanks.
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Post by BartP »

Confirmed; Veeam will always create a tape backup of the type "with the longest retention" if more tape jobs would start on a given day.
This works the same for Synthetics over incrementals, Monthly over Weekly, etc.
It does make sense from a backup perspective; why backup both an incremental and a synthetic full on 1 day?
As a trainer, i'm curious; Do you have a specific use case why it's a must have feature?
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA
linchester
Novice

Post by linchester »

Hello Bart.

I must to have incremental tape backups at Monday-Thursday and Full at Friday.

These tape backups must to start immediately after Primary Backups (Disc/Incremental) end.

So, the Primary Backup (Disc/Incremental) started at Thursday, must to be replicated to the tape. But, like I've mentioned before, if for some reason, this Thursday Primary Backup ends after midnight (i.e Friday), I will lost the respective incremental tape backup, because Veeam will start the Full before the expected time.

Therefore, it will use the tape that I've putted into the library to copy the Synthetic Full (Virtual). So, I'll have to mark it "Free" to be used again after the Friday Primary Backup Job at 8:00 PM.

It's simple.
1 - A tape job MUST run immediately the Thursday Primary Backup Job (Disc/Incremental) and MUST to copy the Incremental file (even if started after the Friday 0:00 AM ) .
2 - The virtual full MUST run ONLY after the Friday Primary Backup (Disc/Incremental) 8:00 PM. Therefore, it will use the Full Media Pool Tape.

That's my specific needs.

Thanks.
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Post by BartP »

Thanks for taking your time to elaborate :)
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA