Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Slow replica

Post by m.novelli »

Hi friends, I'm using Veeam 5.0.1 to replicate from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 4.1 over a 100 Mbit WAN. No compression is available on the WAN

Veeam Server is a VM with Windows 2008 R2 using virtual appliance mode to backup and replicate various VM. The replication job is using best compression and wan optimization.

Source SAN is an IBM DS8700 and destination SAN is an IBM DS8300. On both sides I have an IBM Bladecenter HS21

I've tested the replication on LAN and it was fast. The I've moved the destination SAN and Bladecenter to Disaster Recovery site and now replication is really slow (6 - 10 Mb/s). Monitoring WAN performance I see that Veeam Server is not fully using the bandwidth available, but if a try to manually transfer a file I can saturate the WAN connection.

I'm asking internal network admin if we can try HyperIP (and I'm trying to understand how much it costs)

In the meanwhile there is some trick that I can check?

Marco
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Slow replica

Post by Gostev »

The trick is to use full blown ESX as target instead of ESXi. Even if you try to upload a file to even local ESXi host with vSphere Client, you will see the speed is still quite poor. There are at least a couple of topics were this issue was discussed in details past month, so you may want to search this forum if you have additional questions. Thanks!