Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Retention just for sets of data

Post by infused »

So I have this issue quite often. Big VMs. A data drive (Microsoft Office documents etc). I don't want retention on the entire vm, it's just a waste of space. Is there anything I can do with Veeam just to hold sets of this data in a retention repository?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Retention just for sets of data

Post by Mike Resseler »

In that case you don't want a VM level backup so I would suggest to look into Veeam Agent for Windows and only protect the data volume with it. The server version would give you the scheduling options from VBR and we announced integration into VBR which will come later this year

Just an idea
Mike
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I create a drive on the server for retention. Then exclude other disks on Veeam job to backup and retain.
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Post by infused »

Mike Resseler wrote:In that case you don't want a VM level backup so I would suggest to look into Veeam Agent for Windows and only protect the data volume with it. The server version would give you the scheduling options from VBR and we announced integration into VBR which will come later this year

Just an idea
Mike
So the Veeam agent can just target data. Can I then point this B&R repository? I think I've looked at this before, and that's the missing piece.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, Veeam Agent for Windows can use backup repository as a target, if that's what you're asking for.