Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
howthorn
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: ilkay aygun

Notification e-mail action

Post by howthorn »

Hi,
is it possible to trigger e-mail notification for an alarm only in red state? For example I have a vm snapshot size alarm which is set to yellow at 5 gb and red at 10 gigs. I would like to receive e-mail notification only when this alarm goes to red.

thanks,
İlkay
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Notification e-mail action

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ilkay,

The alarm is being triggered every time when one of the defined rule conditions is met, meaning that an email will be send each time the alarm is raised. But thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

If you don't want to receive alarms with warnings, as a workaround you may try to create/duplicate this alarm and then edit the warning level to match the % value you have set for error state. On doing this just re-assign this new alarm with email notifications enabled.

Thanks!
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

in that case I receive 2 duplicate e-mails for warning and alert states which have the same values. That is confusing.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hm...I've just talked to our Dev team and I was told that you may specify any negative number in the Warning Level option, that should prevent you from getting any notification at this level.
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

unfortunately the field does not accept any character other than numbers. seems to be impossible to enter negative numbers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could you please clarify which steps you've taken to get duplicated email messages? I've just matched warning and error thresholds for CPU alarm and received only one notification. Please make sure you've disabled email notifications in your first alarm settings...

On top of that, thanks for the feedback, we'll implement an ability to use email notification rules in more granular way, so you could choose whether to send emails for warnings, errors or for both.
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

Hi Vitaliy,
Let me explain the reason why I want to seperate warning and alert e-mails. We have a 1st level operational department. For example I defined an alarm for snapshot sizes with 5 gigs or more as yellow and 10 gigs or more as red. The operations department would take action when they see the warning alert but if they forget and the alarm turns to red, I would like to receive e-mail. In the existing situation, I receive the mail in both yellow and red states.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that makes perfect sense for me either, based on the way we are going to implement that, you'll be able to send warning email notifications to 1 Tier level guys and errors to another group of people.