Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

Import backup....compatibility

Post by EBoucq »

Hi,

If you backup a VM with Veeam B&R 6.5 or 7, could you restore it with an earlier version like 6.1 for instance ?
Thanks !

Eric
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Import backup....compatibility

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

No, generally you cannot restore backups created by later product version in an earlier version. However, the reverse is true: with any product version, you can restore backups created by previous product versions. In other words, we provide backward compatibility only. Thanks.
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

Post by EBoucq »

Thanks for your answer !

Eric
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should any other questions arise, feel free to ask. Thanks!
omg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: V

[MERGED] Veeam versions/editions compatibility questions

Post by omg »

Hi,

We are evaluating Veeam products and got some questions on compatibility .

1) If we take a backup using Veeam Free edition , can we restore those backups on another server using Veeam essentials ?

2) If we take a backup using Veeam 7.0 can we restore those backups on another server using Veeam 8.0 ?

3) If we take a backup using Veeam 8.0 can we restore those backups on another server using Veeam 7.0 ?

4) If we take a backup using Veeam Enterprise 7.0 can we restore those backups on another server using Veeam Free edition 7/8 ?

Are veeam backup files dependent on the version/edition ?

Thanks in advance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam versions/editions compatibility questions

Post by Gostev »

Hi.
Answers are Yes to all questions, except 3 (as v7 is unaware of v8 backup format).
Basically, to restore any backup file, you need to use the same or later version of B&R.
Thanks!
gotaar
Lurker
Full Name: John Philips

[MERGED] Compatibilty from veeamzip 7 to 9

Post by gotaar »

Hi everybody

This is my first question here ans my english is not very good.

I would like tout know if it is possible to import veeamzip saves made with veeam 7 version into veeam 9 version and then restore those saves.

Thanks.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Compatibilty from veeamzip 7 to 9

Post by DGrinev »

Hi John and welcome to the community!

Yes, you can restore from veeamzip backup made by previous versions.
Please review this thread above for additional information. Thanks!
gotaar
Lurker
Full Name: John Philips

Re: Compatibilty from veeamzip 7 to 9

Post by gotaar »

ok thanks a lot !! :D
aceit
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times

[MERGED]clear veeam policy on file compatibility across vers

Post by aceit »

Hello, I've a contract opened and opened a clarification ticket but I was requesting to open a case on the forum by veeam support because apparently is not possible to channel this kind of requests via support page (??? my Case# is: 02146796).

My basic question is - given that veeam evolved in a product supporting also tapes and GFS and so opening its use case to a longer term scope:

is it possible to know what is the expected Veeam policy for backup file compatibility between Veeam versions?

i.e. if I archive a backup to tape via Veeam tape system, am I expected to read it on future versions (across major version numbers)?

There is a precise rule that is stated and that will be maintained during software development (so customers can plan accordingly)?

Due to the "recent" inclusion of full tape support in the ecosystem (libraries, vaulting), Veeam system is used indeed also for long term storage / archival of information of files offsite, so the lifespan window of a backup is destined to be longer.

So please in the future consider an official guideline in the documentation and in the development of the software, in order to ease customer planning and risk, regarding the format compatibility across software evolution.

For example something along the lines of the LTO Consortium: a tape drive must be able to read two previous versions (ie LTO7 drive can read LTO5). That of course cover the "physical" medium layer....

So I think that a precise statement or compatibility matrix in the doc affirming something like: "Veeam is guaranteed to be able to read or at least extract files from four major versions before"... this would ease planning, expectation and risk.

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The rule is easy > backup files created by earlier versions of Veeam backup server are fully supported by newer versions, including all major versions. It's a good idea to clearly state this in our documentation as well. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Added this note to the documentation section > Data Recovery