Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

VIX....and Active Directory

Post by EBoucq »

Hi,

I'd like to understand why, on a network level, when you backup a VM using application-aware processing via VIX, we can see (using a network snifer) that there's connection to the Active Directory using specific ports.
What veeam or Windows is trying to do by contacting a domain controller to backup a VM knowing a local admin account is being used for the application-aware processing ?

Thank you.
Eric.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: VIX....and Active Directory

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Eric. This could because network-based processing is always tried first, before failing over to VIX. Thanks!
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

Post by EBoucq »

Hi Gostev,

the process I'm describing is the VIX one. That's why I don't understand why Veeam is trying to interact with an AD...Even failing over to VIX, if the network guy doesn't open the communication with the domain controller server, the backup fails.
I'm sure of that because the Veeam server and the VM are in 2 different networks so the network-based processing can't work and Veeam has to use the VIX one..

Thanks,
Eric
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, please investigate this with our support then, perhaps they will be able to understand from debug logs what exactly fails when the communication with the domain controller is blocked.