Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Move .vbk files from repository to Catalyst store

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

is it possible to copy .vbk files to a storeonce catalyst store without using ScaleOut repositories. In the Files context there is an option to copy and past files within catalyst stores. But I can't find an option to copy files between repositories and catalyst.

thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Move .vbk files from repository to Catalyst store

Post by Shestakov »

Hi, you need backup copy job to copy backups, however it copies from one repository to another. Do you want to copy backup files to catalyst from another repository?
Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

Hi, we have 20 full backup files. We want to move them (or copy them) all to a catalyst store, without using SOBR.
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Jazz Oberoi

Post by jazzoberoi »

I'd like to see this as well. Before the catalyst integration in Veeam, we were using StoreOnce as NAS target and thus have ended up with many full .VBK's from a year ago.

I'd like to be able to import these into the same catalyst store so they too can be deduplicated.
jorsini
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John J. Orsini

Post by jorsini »

Did anyone ever get a good answer to this. We are migrating from a traditional locally attached storage array to an HP StoreOnce VSA, and I want to move the old backups to the appliance and leverage the dedupe capability.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can drag and drop files to Catalyst repository under the Files node.
jorsini
Novice

Post by jorsini »

If our source repository is encrypted, but the StoreOnce is not encrytped (it is in StoreOnce, but not in VEEAM), will dragging and dropping the files as you suggest do the following -
Unencrypt the source?
Move the information through the Catalyst (source side de-dupe)?
Preserve the backup chains?

Is there any knowledge base or documentation covering how this works?

Thanks for the quick response on this.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Talked to soon, this ability is blocked in Veeam B&R, so only backup and backup copy jobs and SOBR evacuate can write to Catalyst Store. So you can add both repositories into SOBR and use evacuation to migrate from one to another. Please keep in mind that the chain should be forward per-VM chain and not exceed the supported length, otherwise there could be issues with using it for mapping or restores.

Regarding encryption, do you mean the job that backs up data to the local storage has encryption enabled or other sort of encryption?
jorsini
Novice

Post by jorsini »

I do mean that the job has encryption enabled.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, in this case there's not much sense in moving them to Catalyst store, since they will hardly get any noticeable dedupe rate.
jorsini
Novice

Post by jorsini »

if one repository is encrypted and one is not and we're going to disable encryption on the job going forward... won't that decrypt the information before throwing it over on the StoreOnce?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Only if you perform backup or backup copy jobs to StoreOnce. Evacuation doesn't know anything about job settings.
jorsini
Novice

Post by jorsini »

So I have done the following to attempt to validate the process of moving an encrypted backup to an unencrypted state by using a backup copy job. I am also trying to make sure that the backup copy job removes as much compression/deduplication as possible as I want the Store Once appliance to do that.
I have backed up a single test machine - encrypted on a new repository.
I have created a backup copy job with no encryption, no inline data duplication, and dedupe-friendly compression levels to a different repository (this is approximating the StoreOnce appliance).
I have run the backup copy job.
How can I tell by looking at the backups that the original is encrypted and the copy is not?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

To check whether backup is encrypted or not, you can import it into a separate clean Veeam B&R server. Encrypted backup will appear under the Backups > Disk (encrypted) node in the inventory pane, while the unencrypted one will get directly to Disk (Imported).
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: claudiofolu

[MERGED] Migrate repository to Dedup appliance

Post by claudiofolu »

Hello!
We adquired a brand new StoreOnce 3540 in our enviroment, so now we need to find a way to "migrate" the old repository (Windows Server with local disks) to the storeonce, is there any procedure to accomplish this?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi, please review the workaround suggested above.
SushilT
Lurker
Full Name: Sushil Taneja

[MERGED] Case ID: 03624028- Backup Data Migration (Data&Catalog) from Local Drive to HPE Storeonce Catalyst

Post by SushilT »

Case ID: 03624028- Backup Data Migration (Data&Catalog) from Local Drive to HPE Storeonce Catalyst

We are doing a migration from Veeam Old Server(Physical) to Veeam New Server(Physical). We had Daily, Weekly and Monthly Job schedules in Daily, Weekly and Monthly repositories respectively in our OLD VEEAM Server. Each of the Daily, Weekly and Monthly repositories are created from local drive- such as D:\Daily; D:\Weekly; and D:\Monthly.

New Veeam Backup Server is configured with HPE Catalyst. We have created a new test repository on HPE storeOnce and accessed thorugh Veeam Catalyst and tested with new backup jobs.

We also created 3 more repositories on HPE Catalyst - Daily, Weekly and Monthly and these repositories are also visible in Veeam Server.

Further, we want to migrate existing Backup Data (created through Incremental jobs) along with Catalogs to be moved to HPE StoreOnce Catalyst.

Any Help how to move the existing backedup data from existing Local drives in OLD Veeam Server to New HPE StoreOnce Catalyst repositories on the NEW VEEAM Server.

Regards,

Sushil Taneja
+91 9873714407
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Sushil, please review the thread above and this post for recommendations. Thanks!