Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Groovy1481
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Grove

Guest Interaction Proxy Only?

Post by Groovy1481 »

Greetings,
I work for a MSP that hosts multiple clients on different subnets on different vlans and of course we back up every client with their own Veeam job. We utilize VSAN in our VMWare environment and have multiple Veeam Proxies that are physical and virtual machines that are connected to the storage. Our Veeam server and proxies are all on it's own VLAN with a lot of networking done to connect to our VMWare environment and in turn connect to client subnets for file level restores. We have been looking at separating or Veeam server to not have vlans connecting all of our clients to our server so we started to look at getting a more secure setup. To make less of a networking/vlan nightmare with all of the Team Interfaces on our Veeam host the idea is to have a proxy for each client. The proxy would connect to our Veeam VLAN and then to the client VLAN.
We need to take advantage of utilizing the guest interaction proxies to truncate Exchange/SQL databases so we spun up a VM to test in out for one client utilizing our Veeam vlan and also a second network adapter on the VM with the client vlan. I have added the proxy and selected the proxy as the guest interaction proxy and it did exactly what it was supposed to do and truncated the databases for that job since it detected it was on the same subnet as the client network. Sounds good right?
The problem I have run into, is other jobs. Other backup jobs kick off and attempt to use the proxy I spun up for this one client and I get "Preparing backup proxy x.x.x.x for disk x [hotadd]" and it never progresses. Even more odd is that it should be automatically utilizing my other proxies to backup the other vms utilizing storage snapshots as that is much faster than HotAdd. My question is, how can I prevent the Proxy I spun up to be a Guest Interaction Proxy to solely be used for just that, a Guest Interaction Proxy Only? If that isn't something that is possible what can I do to utilize the guest interaction proxy to do what it needs to do and keep everything working as it should?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations and if any further information is needed, please let me know.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Guest Interaction Proxy Only?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

So, you've configured each job to use a dedicated guest interaction proxy, and also you have assigned dedicated backup proxies for source datastore access, yet all other jobs still attempt to use the proxies they are not supposed to use, is that correct?

P.S. Also please tell me if there are any VMs that have non-Windows OS installed?

Thanks
Groovy1481
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Grove

Post by Groovy1481 »

Hello,
So to clarify, I have created a guest interaction proxy for one job as a test of concept before rolling out to all jobs. I had set in the individual job the guest interaction proxy that had worked perfect. One thing I did not do was assign dedicated backup proxies for datastore access. That is the setting in the Backup Repositories for Proxy Affinity, correct? I will select the right proxies and uncheck the guest interaction proxy and see how that works. Let me know if I am on the right track. I appreciate your reply.
**EDIT** - I also am backing up virtual firewalls that are Linux based.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

That is the setting in the Backup Repositories for Proxy Affinity, correct?
No, Proxy Affinity settings determine which proxy is eligible to access the repository. To limit what backup proxies to user for a particular backup job you need to explicitly select backup proxies that the job must use instead of "Automatic selection" in the "Backup proxy" section of "Storage" step.
I also am backing up virtual firewalls that are Linux based.
There is a limitation - the guest interaction proxy deploys the runtime process only in Microsoft Windows VMs. In VMs with another guest OS, the runtime process is deployed by the backup server. That is, for those Linux firewall machines the role of a guest interaction proxy will be assigned to VBR.

Thanks