Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
richardw
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Wallis

testing tape restores

Post by richardw »

Hi there,

I have recently started using tape backups for long term recovery, is there anyway I can test the restores from tape without overwriting existing data?

Is there also a way to see what data is on the tape?

Look forward to your response..
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: testing tape restores

Post by veremin »

I have recently started using tape backups for long term recovery, is there anyway I can test the restores from tape without overwriting existing data?
What type of the tape job you're using? Backup to tape or File to tape one?

Files backed up by backup to tape job, can be restored either to any repository (Backup repository) you have or to whatever location you want to (This server; Folder path).

As to files backed up by files to tape job, there are two restore options - "original location" and "this server".

Either way, you should use "This server" option in order to restore files to different location, so that, current files aren't overwritten.
Is there also a way to see what data is on the tape?
In case of backup to tape job, there is a predefined report in Veeam ONE called “Tape Backups” that lists VM restore points along with the tapes they reside on; might be exactly what you're looking for.

Otherwise (file to tape job), go to "Files" node, select required files -> properties -> restore points, and see tapes given file/directory resides on.

Thanks.
richardw
Enthusiast
Full Name: Richard Wallis

Post by richardw »

Hi there,

I am using Backup to tape and suggestions have given what I needed so thanks very much.

:)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask, if any additional clarification is needed. Thanks.
npitacco
Influencer
Full Name: Nadia Pitacco

[MERGED] How to test recovery from repository tape copies

Post by npitacco »

We use Veeam 9 to backup our VMware VMs to a NAS (CIFS) repository.
Weekly we make a copy of the repository to tape with CA Arcserve and move the tape to the bank.
I would like to do a test recovery from one of the older backups, just something like "Read the repository, open one backup and do a file level or Instant Recovery restore", then delete the backups.
My question is I could I do this with the minimum impact on our existing backups.
I believe I will need to create a dedicated repository, but I am not sure about what comes next.
Which is the best way?
Thanks in advance
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please check this thread. Also, may I ask you about the reason why to mix two solutions instead of using Veeam's native Backup to Tape functionality?

Thanks
npitacco
Influencer

Post by npitacco »

Unfortunately I am not lucky enough to use Veeam's native Backup to Tape :(
We have a few physical server, and we cannot change the backup to tape solution until we virtualize them, which will be at the end of the year. At which point I plan to migrate to a Veeam only configuration.
Even then, we will have archived Veeam backups older than Veeam's native Backup to Tape, and for compliance reason we need to test these older backup for readability.
This is the reason I believe this thread is not applicable to my problem. I am looking for a way to test the Veeam backup files I will extract from file with minimum impact on our "Live" backup

Thanks in advance
Nadia
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

We have a few physical server
Out of curiosity, have you already tried using Veeam Agents to backup those? If so then how did it go?
npitacco
Influencer

Post by npitacco »

I used them when I worked for another company, even if I have not jet tested the latest versions
My problem is I inherited an existing infrastructure and I have to institute formal recovery test for the older backups
Nadia