Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BenB
Novice
Liked: never

Restore to Azure, but what about the other way around?

Post by BenB »

Hello,

For our non-critical (high RPO/RTO) VM's, we're thinking about the following setup:
- On premise Veeam server backing up to a physical HP StoreOnce appliance (we are running VMware on-premise)
- Backup copy (or StoreOnce replication) to an Azure hosted virtual StoreOnce appliance
- Windows VM running veeam in Azure to restore VM's from the Azure hosted StoreOnce appliance into Azure in case of a DR

From the documentation I was able to find, this should be possible.
However, what I did not found: once our DR situation is over and we can revert back to our on-premise environment, is Veeam able to do this? Because this is as important as the actual restore into Azure...
The same goes for backups when our VM's are running in Azure during DR...

Any information on this is appreciated.

Ben
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore to Azure, but what about the other way around?

Post by veremin »

You mean to switch workload from restored VM running in Azure back to production? If so, you will need to backup Azure VM using Veeam Agent (either for Windows or for Linux) and restore it to production host. Thanks.
BenB
Novice
Liked: never

Post by BenB »

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the information. That's indeed what I'm looking for. However, when I check Veeam agent, there's the option for restore to Azure and Hyper-V, but not to VMware? Since our on-premise infra is running VMware, we have to be able to go back from Azure to on-prem VMware...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You will need to export disks backed up by Veeam Agent as vmdk first and then attach them to pre-created empty VM. Thanks.