Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MikeDunstall
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Dunstall

Losing Connection to Backup Host

Post by MikeDunstall »

Veeam Backup and Replication 9.0 I currently backup most of my VMware machines although the backup Jobs themselves work fine I keep running into an issue where I will have to Completely restart the backup server as the host it is on keeps losing connection to the backup server.

Although what I am confused about is that the backup server is hosted on the same machine. I am also logged in as the Local Host of the VM to see if it is a communication issue between the backup server and a user but no still fails even when using the local host account.

When looking through my event viewer I can see on possible cause of this when looking in the system logs. Warning Tcpip - "TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint."

I am unsure where I would get logs from Backup and Replication to help Diagnose the issue, I feel as if this is something simple I am missing.

If anyone can help that would be great.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Losing Connection to Backup Host

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'd like to clarify something:
I will have to Completely restart the backup server as the host it is on keeps losing connection to the backup server.
your Veeam Backup server is a VM that sits on a ESXi host. The ESXi host occasionally loses the connection to the VM, is that correct?
I am also logged in as the Local Host of the VM to see if it is a communication issue between the backup server and a user but no still fails even when using the local host account.
Please elaborate on that. You are not able to login into the VM even if you use local admin account, right?
I am unsure where I would get logs from Backup and Replication to help Diagnose the issue, I feel as if this is something simple I am missing.
Please check this article.

Thanks