Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Johnson

WAN Accelerator, Scale Out Repository and Deduplication

Post by ChrisJ83Knights »

Hi

I am looking into setting up DR offsite and was wondering about the setup offsite, can I just setup a Server 2012 R2 box with Hyper-V role enabled, add it to Veeam under Managed Servers, Microsoft Windows?

From there would I connect the remote repositories directly to this offsite server and setup the WAN Accelerator on this box as well?

Does it need the console installing? I suppose it would be handy.

With regards to Scale Out Repository if we already have a repository with backups can I add this to a scale out repository without losing all the current data?

If I mix fast storage and deduplicating storage is Veeam clever enough to store, latest backups on fast storage and archival backups to the deduplicating storage?

We will be using Windows deduplication on some of the iSCSI repositories if that makes a difference.

Many thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: WAN Accelerator, Scale Out Repository and Deduplication

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Chris,

You should add the Server as Microsoft Hyper-V to be able replicate VMs, for example.
Please keep in mind WAN Accelerator is recommended in case you've less than the 100mb\s connection between the sites.
The console itself just connecting to the backup server and provide you the ability to manage it remotely.
There is no need to install another instance of the Veeam B&R, however, you can use it for replication jobs, as it's recommended approach to manage replication jobs from the DR site.
ChrisJ83Knights wrote:With regards to Scale Out Repository if we already have a repository with backups can I add this to a scale out repository without losing all the current data?
Yes, you can add simple repository's with the backup files without losing them, however, be aware of several limitations.
ChrisJ83Knights wrote:If I mix fast storage and deduplicating storage is Veeam clever enough to store, latest backups on fast storage and archival backups to the deduplicating storage?
No, but Archive Tier coming in v10 might be a good solution for that. Thanks!
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Johnson

[MERGED] Veeam Scale-out backup repository

Post by ChrisJ83Knights »

Hi

I am looking to add a scale-out backup repository and just wanted to check if I would lose any data doing so.

I have an existing repository with existing backups on it and an empty repository I have just added.

If I create a scale-out repository with the two repositories will it keep the data already stored?

Many thanks
DGrinev
Veteran

Re: Veeam Scale-out backup repository

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Chris,

You can use simple repositories with the backup data as Extents for Scale-out backup repository creation without losing the data.
Also, do not forget to change target in the jobs after the consolidation of repositories into SOBR.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
HSC TSA
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: KU HSC-TSA

[MERGED] Scale-out Repositories best practice?

Post by HSC TSA »

Hi,

I have 2 Repositories, one of them is almost full, while the other one is less than half full!

how can I join both under one Scale-out Repository, without losing or affecting the ongoing daily backups...? :?:

TIA :D
DGrinev
Veteran

Re: Scale-out Repositories best practice?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You should group your repositories into Scale-out Backup Repository and change the target in the job settings to the SOBR.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
HSC TSA
Enthusiast

Post by HSC TSA »

Thnx for the quick reply...

I'm getting this error when adding 2 simple repositories with the backup data as Extents for Scale-out backup repository creation:
"Unable to add extent Backup Repository SAN because it serves as the target for one or more job types which are not supported by a scale-out backup repository."
I disable all jobs before adding with no success!

TIA
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Did you check limitations for SOBR in the User Guide (the link have been mentioned in the discussion above)?
Also, one of repositories contains replicas by any chance? That can be a blocking point too. Thanks!
HSC TSA
Enthusiast

Post by HSC TSA » 1 person likes this post

Thnx…

It was the “Configuration Backup”…!!
I moved it to another path, and setup the SOBR…!
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Thank you for the follow up, that can be useful for further readers.
I'm glad you've resolved the issue. Thanks!