Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
newbyam
Influencer
Liked: never

Please help me adding tape server as repository

Post by newbyam »

Dear forum users,

I´m writing this asking your help,

I have entered in a new company so I have 1 month to demonstrate that Im able to work here and I need to have it working if I dont want to get fired :S

My boss have assigned me to create a new Backup VMWARE infrastructure bassed on Veeam backup and an LTO server, I have correctly added LTO server to TAPE infrastructure but I cant make backups (Or, at least, I don´t know how to do)

I have successfully added tapes to inventory and create 3 media pools (diary, weekly and monthly), but I cant "see" they when I create new backup job/replication job or VM copy

I suppose that I have to add the tape server as repository but I dont know how to do it, my infrasstructure is like this:

SERVER1 (VMWARE)------ SERVER2 (Vcenter & veeam backup installed) ---- LTO SERVER attached to server 2.

So finally, please help me Im starting to get a little bit nervous because I know that it is a task that anybody could do in 15 minutes and I have spent 2 days going nowhere

My sincerely thanks in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Please help me adding tape server as repository

Post by veremin »

You can archive VMs directly to tapes. You will need to create backup jobs first, and, then, copy resulting backups to tapes. Thanks.
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl »

Hi there,

First, direct Backup to tape doesn't work as in other backup programs. You have to create a normal Veeam backup jo to a repository. Then you create a tape job to archive this restore point in the repository to tape.

A good step to understand how tapes are used in Veeam is the Veeam helpcenter:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Especially the VM backup to tape mentioned here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Hope that helps! Feel free to share an update with us!
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
newbyam
Influencer

Post by newbyam »

Thanks for your (instant) replies, Im going to start reading right now and post with the results

really, really thanks! :D

OK, I think tha i have to do this:

Tape Servers

To connect to the tape devices, Veeam Backup & Replication uses tape servers.

The tape server is a backup infrastructure component transferring data between data source and tape device. The tape server runs Veeam Data Mover service that creates a communication point over which the data between the tape device and backup repositories or file servers is transferred.

The tape server deployment is fully automated: to create a tape server, you must assign the tape server role to a necessary server in the backup infrastructure. You can create a dedicated tape server or assign the tape server role to the Veeam backup server.

the windows 2016 server that host veeam backup and has attached the LTO server must have the Tape server role ??
newbyam
Influencer

Post by newbyam »

OK I have found the problem, It´s all about licensing

In standard license you cant do Tape job BU to LTO directly, so you have to maque de BU to the local machine and then copy it to LTO (Thats a little weird...) so I have to suggest to my boss buying enterprise edition in order to made BU like human people do XD

Anybody has any solutions to have BUs working in Standard edition?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Even with Enterprise edition there is no way to backup VM directly to tapes.

The difference between Standard and Enterprise editions is the backup to tape job. It's available only in Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions, while Standard one has only files to to tape job.

Thanks.
newbyam
Influencer

Post by newbyam »

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate a lot

Finally I have it working (more or less...) creating job backups and then chaining it to tape jobs

One more time, thank you for all :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Happy to help. Reach us, whenever you have new questions - we will be glad to assist you. Thanks.