Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Manually remove VIBs - support says not possible

Post by unsichtbarre »

What a frustrating call with Veeam support this morning (# 02278446)! The support representative told me that I could not manually remove VIBs prior to the oldest VBK, which runs contrary to my knowledge of how Veeam works.

I have a backup job with 30 restore points specified (Forward Incremental) as Retention Policy. Last month, I noticed that there were no Synthetic or Active Full Backups set for the job, so I set Active Full for the 3rd. Sunday (in this case 7/16), which occurred on schedule.

Now I have 37 VIBs from 6/7 to 7/13, a VBK on 7/16, and 26 more VIBs from 7/17 to present.

As a result of the VIBs on 7/13 and prior, the repository is running low on space.

All I want to do is remove the VIBs on 7/13 and prior, but the support representative stated flatly that that would be impossible.

Tell me if I am wrong or crazy?
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Manually remove VIBs - support says not possible

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi John, you definitely can remove these VIBs along with the VBK they rely upon - you did not mention whether you have it in the repository, but VIBs cannot exist without the corresponding VBK, they are simply unrecoverable without it. Feel free to delete the entire old part chain, these restore points will still be displayed in the UI, but you can get rid of them using the remove missing restore points functionality. Thanks.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Re: Manually remove VIBs - support says not possible

Post by unsichtbarre »

Thank you foggy. That was perfect, and exactly what I was trying to do!
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com