odruard
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Olivier Druard

Unable to add administrators group in "User & roles"

Post by odruard »

Hello,

We have several Veeam B&R servers.
On one of them, the local administrators group is not listed in "Users and Roles".
I don't know if it has been deleted by mistake or if we never added it. Maybe it is automatically added on installation, I didn't pay attention.

I tried to add it, however a popup window says "Invalid user name".
I tried typing the group manually, with and without the hostname, and through the browse and a search of the group. No success.

I found this errors in Svc.VeeamBackup.log.
Server is isntalled in French. The first line could be translated as "Unable to translate some or all identity references" and "Administrateurs" is the French name for "Administrators".

Code: Select all

[16.08.2017 16:12:54] <46> Error    Impossible de traduire certaines ou toutes les références d'identité. (System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException)
[16.08.2017 16:12:54] <46> Error       à System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)
[16.08.2017 16:12:54] <46> Error       à System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType)
[16.08.2017 16:12:54] <46> Error       à Veeam.Backup.Common.CAccountHelper.FindSid(NTAccount account)
[16.08.2017 16:12:54] <46> Error    Cannot resolve SID for username HOSTNAME\Administrateurs. (System.Exception)
[16.08.2017 16:12:54] <46> Error       à Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CRemoteUserAuthenticationServiceStub.GetAccountInfo(String userNameRaw)
It seems that this problem occurs with built-in local groups (I tested few of them), however it doesn't occur with local accounts, non built-in local groups, and AD groups.

A strange point : on the other French Veeam B&R server, the administrators group is listed in "Users and Roles", however this group is displayed as "Administrators" (English name) instead of "Administrateurs" (I checked on server, the admin group is named "'Administrateurs" as expected and there is no other group named "Administrators").

Are the built-in accounts and groups managed on a special way, as their SIDs are pre-defined ?
I don't know if problem is on Windows side, on Veeam side, or on compatibility problems when using a localized version of Windows as Veeam server.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Olivier Druard
odruard
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Olivier Druard

Re: Unable to add administrators group in "User & roles"

Post by odruard » 1 person likes this post

I reply myself to my topic.

Despite the browse of groups and accounts was returning somethiing like "hostname\administrateurs", Veeam needs such groups to be filled in as "BUILTIN\administrateurs".
No link with OS language.

Simple, but not obvious...

Olivier