Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mckaj
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Endpoint from SATA SSD resoring to M.2 NVMe

Post by mckaj »

Hi All,

We have been having issues trying to restore Veeam Endpoint from a Dell OptiPlex 7040 with 256GB SATA SSD to a 7050 with a 512GB M.2 NVMe drive. The NVMe drive is pre-configured with the on board (software based?) RAID controller.

In the bare metal recovery process we can load the network (and USB) drivers to get to the old images (via our VBR Repository), but we cannot seem to find the right combinations of drivers and tongue twisting sequence that lets us see the drive in the new machine so we can complete the Bare Metal Restore process. It is unable to automatch anything, and when we manual match it comes up with no destination options

Has anyone been successful with this on Dell machines, and if so can you share what driver(s) you used to get this over the line? (and if there were other boot issues post restore because of the different controller types.

Would really like to be able to nail this process so we can use it in the future as we move more toward this style of SSD.

Cheers
Andrew
mckaj
Novice

Re: Veeam Endpoint from SATA SSD resoring to M.2 NVMe

Post by mckaj »

To add some more to our own story.

Very relevant is the fact that this is Windows 7 which, in hindsight, does not natively understand NVMe drives.

See comments in this link (these driver packs are a handy link in any case for dell peeps!)
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... river-pack

" I solved it here by slipstreaming a couple of hotfixes (KB2990941 + KB3087873) into the WIM-file. These updates give Windows 7 NVMe support. The Driver package installed without problems."

These two updates can be installed on a windows 7 machine even if it does not have an NVMe drive. What I don't know, and cannot test at this point as we have gone down a different path for this one, is if we create a Veeam boot disk to do the BMR, will it naturally be able to see the new drive on the basis of those windows updates being installed on the old system.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, and if you have an answer to that final question before I do, please post back.

Cheers
AM
chrislfox
Lurker
Full Name: Chris Fox

Re: Veeam Endpoint from SATA SSD resoring to M.2 NVMe

Post by chrislfox »

i have a Windows 7 Ent x64 Dell Optiplex 7040 using a factory installed 256Gb NVMe drive. This is a working system straight from Dell with no driver bangs. I install the Veeam agent(latest), create a backup, create boot media(it says include this systems drivers). Reboot and boot off media and when I try to restore it says it can't map disk. I installed KB2990941 but can't find KB3087873. After installing the one hotfix, I repeated the above steps. Any ideas, really need to get this working and Veeam is pointing at Dell and Dell is pointing at Veeam. I also tested Avamar agent on same system with no issues.