Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Veeam Monthly Usage Report

Post by wa15 »

Hey Veeamers!

I did a new Veeam install on a different site and I noticed that a month later, I received a "Monthly Usage Report" which gives a nice summary for all systems backed up on the Veeam server in question, along with the number of restore points and last restore point. This is very beneficial! However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out where this setting in Veeam is set! There is no Enterprise Backup Manager on this system.

I want to receive the same report on other independent Veeam servers. Any ideas?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Monthly Usage Report

Post by veremin »

It's generated only for service providers licenses (Cloud Connect Service Provider, Hosting Rental and Perpetual licenses). Are you positive all serves have the same license type? Thanks.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

One is an Enterprise Plus Perpetual license and the other is Enterprise Perpetual license. Both stand-alone B&R, the former one is tied in to Enterprise Manager.

The one that's sending them out is the Enterprise one. None of the two servers have automatic license updated enabled per link. Does that mean that I can enable this report on both servers?
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

[MERGED] Monthly Report?

Post by bhagen »

I just received an emailed report called "August usage report for Veeam Backup & Replication" which gives a nice summary for all systems backed up. Column headings are: job name, instance name, instance type, restore points, last processed.

I like it; it's actually something I've been wanting, but...I have no idea where it came from, why it showed up, or how I can make it happen again.

We *only* have one instance of VBR Enterprise Edition 9.5.0.1038 (perpetual license) installed in our entire organization. No Enterprise Backup Manager, no Veeam One, nothing except VBR. (We also have some Agent for Windows "subscription" licenses.)

As I said, I like the report; clear and concise and I'd ideally like to have this report sent to me once a day (for a while), and to me and my bosses once a month.

Any ideas on where this is coming from and why, suddenly, it's showed up?

Any ideas on how to "manipulate" the generation of this report?

Thanks!
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

This is very interesting, I am in the exact same boat!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

If you find the report useful, we can potentially make it available as an option for all license types - it should not be hard. Please help us understand how are you going to use this report, so that we could adjust it according to the specific use case - instead of being service provider centric. Thanks!
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

That would be awesome.

In our case it's very nice to have an overview of everything that's backed up, the number of corresponding restore points and latest restore point. It's serving as a nice executive summary type report for senior members of the team. Hope that helps but any questions, let me know.
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Post by bhagen »

Gostev wrote:If you find the report useful, we can potentially make it available as an option for all license types - it should not be hard. Please help us understand how are you going to use this report, so that we could adjust it according to the specific use case - instead of being service provider centric. Thanks!
Gostev, I like the report just as it is: "Job name, Instance name, Instance type, Restore points, Last processed". I really like that it reports on my Agent for Windows backups as well.

As I mentioned, I'd like to be able to schedule it as necessary...daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times

Post by andre.simard »

Hi,
As SP we really like this repport to bill our client, the only thing is that we would like to generate a new report on demand with custom date range. As exemple, we would like to generate it for the last month, but not from the 1th to 30th but the 15th to 14th has exemple.
grantg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Grant G

Post by grantg »

I see it's been a while since this was active, but it doesn't look like the question really got answered?

We got these same summary emails with subject like "August usage report for Veeam Backup & Replication" at the end of each month, Aug-Dec 2017.

Then they stopped.

We're not sure why this report started or ended, but we liked it and want it back. We'd actually like a weekly option.

We have perpetual Enterprise Plus, and haven't changed any licenses. Support was renewed 11/2017.

The report footer says "Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5.0.1038"

We've since updated to 9.5.0.1536, but it looks like that was in late Feb, so I would have expected to see a 1/31/2018 report if it were version-specific.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Owners of Veeam Cloud Connect rental license and/or Veeam Service Provider rental license must periodically submit a license usage report. To make their lives easier we've provided a functionality within our product to do that - Monthly Usage Report.

You should not have received this report previously, since you're using perpetual license. Most likely, it's been glitch or something.

Thanks.
JamesNT
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: James Summerlin

Post by JamesNT »

The issue I'm having is a client is getting this email once minute or so. Anyway to stop this? I'm the reseller so the client is using my license.

James
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Do you have Enterprise Manager deployed? If so, you can add backup server to it, so that reports will be generated only on EM, not on backup servers. Thanks.
JamesNT
Service Provider

Post by JamesNT »

No, only backup and replication is installed.

James
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, you don't have an option to disable it. Thanks.
JamesNT
Service Provider

Post by JamesNT »

I don't want to disable it. I just want to stop my client from getting 1 every minute.

James
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It should be generated once a month and should disappear, once they send it.

Are you saying your customers get it, whenever they open backup server UI?

Thanks.
JamesNT
Service Provider

Post by JamesNT »

I'm saying I have a customer who gets in their email once every few minutes.

JamesNT
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Let him create a support ticket, and share its number here. Thanks.
jjlethiers
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jean-Jacques Lethiers

Post by jjlethiers »

Hi Vladimir,
I have a question regarding Monthly Reports. We have 3 different sites with VEM + VBS deployed. Our Veeam reseller does not want to receive 3 different monthly reports and requires us to send a unique one. Before 9.5U4, I was able to poll the 3 VBS servers via PowerShell to generate this report based on this call:
$ViRentalDetailsUsage = [Veeam.Backup.DBManager.CDBManager]::Instance.VmLicensing.GetPerVMUsageStats($true, [Veeam.Backup.Common.EPlatform]::EVmware)
A list of protected VMs (as per Veeam policy) across the 3 sites was then generated and provided to our reseller.
It is no longer working with U4. Could you please advise if this list is still available in U4? Thanks.
Regards,
JJ
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can generate license report by going to Menu -> License -> Report and send it to your reseller. Thanks!
jjlethiers
Service Provider

Post by jjlethiers »

Hi Vladimir,
Issue is that my reseller wants a unified license report and I would like to avoid manual steps.
It worked like a charm with VBR up to 9.5u3a. Isn't there another way to do the same thing with u4? Thanks.
Regards,
JJ
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Based on the code snippet, the script seems to have been interacting with product db directly in unsupported fashion (by loading assembly), so it couldn't be considered as officially supported way to get those metrics.

The licensing counters are available on VBRCloudTenant object, so, feel free to use it instead.

Tanks!
jjlethiers
Service Provider

Post by jjlethiers »

Hi Vladimir,
Thank you. Issue is that we do not leverage Veeam Cloud Connect so we cannot use VBRCloudTenant object.
Any other idea about how to achieve this? Should I try with Enterprise Manager API instead? Thank you for your help.
Regards,
JJ
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

+1 for a report feature/email for normal users.

We use Druva inSync to back up our clients here and I get a nice email every month about the entire backup footprint. It includes things like last backup date, how much is used, how many restore points, number of devices, pretty much a huge list of things. I have my boss CC'd on them and they really appreciate being able to see it without having to actually look into the product. It is something after reading this thread that I don't really get from veeam. Your backup notification emails are nice, an extension of those to include a more report style would be useful to me (as an IT admin). I get that Veeam has reporting tools but an email report is much easier for people who don't know how to use veeam.
jdgs
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jack

Post by jdgs »

Is there a way to change the parameters of this usage report? Our contact email address for failed backups is configured as our support desk, but ideally we would have the usage report go to a different address for management. Sending it to the support address means it reaches the wrong people, and creates a support ticket for our techs to deal with.
Dav3Mc1
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: David McIsaac

Post by Dav3Mc1 »

I've got a customer who as B&R installed with 2 windows agents managed via the B&R server. The agents licensing are subscription but the B&R license perpetual.

Is there a method to disable the monthly usage report for the agents, as the customer seems to get the email notifications every few minutes?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What product version your customer is using? Starting from Update 4, per-agent licenses are not supported any longer, thus, my question

Thanks!