Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

Moving Veeam Replica Files To Another Datastore

Post by rizks_2000 »

I recently moved some Veeam Replica files to another datastore attached to same ESX host. The move worked well, no issues. However, I went into alter my Replica job in Veeam and point to the target location where I put the Veeam files and I get a pop up stating:

1. Unregister affected replica VMs from the Original ESX host
2. Move all affected replica VM subfolders (I already did this)
3. Register affected replica VMs on the new ESX host.

I'm unclear on the unregister and register. Are they asking me to remove remove the VM on my ESX host and then add it back in from the target location?

Thanks
matthadley
Influencer
Full Name: Matt Haldey

Re: Moving Veeam Replica Files To Another Datastore

Post by matthadley »

I, too, am confused. Another post has a response to refer to page 75 of the User Guide. That page talks about "Remove from Replica" with no further guidance on step #3 above. Veaam Support: How does one Register the affected replica VM on the new ESX host?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

You can register VM by double clicking the replica VMX file in the vSphere Client datastore browser.

On a side note, this is not a support forum, and we do not have any technical support staff monitoring it. Veeam Support can be reached at support@veeam.com or using the following means: http://www.veeam.com/support.html
matthadley
Influencer
Full Name: Matt Haldey

Post by matthadley »

Thanks, sorry I misinterpreted the directions. What I meant to ask is: If I want to move a replica from one datastore to another, on the same host, or from one host to another, can I do so and have the Veeam application recognize the replica set and continue from the last replication run?
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

Post by rizks_2000 »

Matt:

I've tried this and my attempts did not work smoothly. That is why you must go into your specific job and navigate to the specific datastore and folder. That is what worked for me, but in the end, it doesn't seem super clear.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

matthadley wrote:Thanks, sorry I misinterpreted the directions. What I meant to ask is: If I want to move a replica from one datastore to another, on the same host, or from one host to another, can I do so and have the Veeam application recognize the replica set and continue from the last replication run?
Yes, absolutely. This is supported since 4.0 release. You just need to move files physically, then edit the job and point to new location. Does it not work for you? What issue are you having?
mplep
Service Provider

Post by mplep »

Hi,

I currently have my replicas upon an ESXi 4.1 host and located upon iSCSI storage. I'm considering moving to ESX based upon some performance concerns and recommendations from Veeam (until next version improvements). So if I build up an ESX host, its possible then to move the replicas and repoint in Veeam without losing and reseeding then?

Thanks
MPLEP
mplep
Service Provider

Post by mplep »

Hi,

Sorry, can I tack on a further question please. My Veeam server is upon an ESXi host (VA mode) offsite sitting with the ESXi hosts that hold the replicas. Would the Veeam host and the replica target hosts ALL need to be ESX ideally?

Thanks
MPLEP
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello MPLEP,

1) Repointing works ok when types of hosts are the same. In your case, there is a change from ESXi to ESX (and thus a change in the way how B&R processes replicas), so you need to re-create your jobs.
2) Since you are using VA mode and B&R is sitting at the source host, you can keep it as ESXi and just migrate target hosts to ESX.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Alexey is correct. Changing your target host to full blown ESX host would require re-seeding, as it is stated in the Release Notes document. Thanks!
mplep
Service Provider

Post by mplep »

Alexey D. wrote: 2) Since you are using VA mode and B&R is sitting at the source host, you can keep it as ESXi and just migrate target hosts to ESX.
Can I just confirm something please. My Veeam in VA mode sits offsite with the Target Hosts on ESXi. That is the scenario which you mentioned above? I only ask as you mention "B&R is sitting at the source host". I am preparing an ESX host for testing offsite and need to confirm whether I can leave Veeam sitting on ESXi or not.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can, provided that all VMs you're going to replicate are accessible by this ESXi host (residing on the local or shared storage). As far as I got it right from your description, all you need is just to replace target ESXi hosts with full blown ESX hosts and then re-seed replicated VMs.