Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dazzla
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup within the Cloud

Post by dazzla »

Hello everybody,

we are currently planning a way implement backup & replication within the Azure/AWS Cloud with Veeam. Our focus is Azure atm, so let's focus on this.

I have identified three possible ways to implement this:

1) Use a Azure VM as a Veeam B&R Instance with Azure Disk Storage attached
(easy but expensive imo)

2) Use a Azure VM as a Veeam B&R Instance and a VTL Gateway (StorSimple) to connect Azure Blockblob Storage
(This could be an option until Veeam supports Blockblob natively)

3) Use a Azure VM as a Veeam B&R Instance and attach Azure File Storage via CIFS/SMB

Does anybody have practical experience with one of those options, or is there an official Veeam Whitepaper or best practise guide regarding this topic?

Best regards,
dazzla
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Backup within the Cloud

Post by veremin »

You seem to have covered all available options. Based on our experience, the third option does not work reliably and cost you more than the first one. Thanks.
dazzla
Novice
Liked: never

Post by dazzla »

Hi v.Eremin,

thank you for your advice. I calculated option three and you are right, it costs a lot more than option one.
To run option two within the cloud is in my opinion not the use case it was designed for, so i think we will focus on option one until Azure Blockblob is supported natively by Veeam.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The first option is the most widely spread approach so far, so feel free to stick to it. As to request, check v10 announcements (Archive Tier feature specifically). Thanks.
Daithi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Veeam and Azure

Post by Daithi »

Hi folks,

I'm looking at the possibilty of backing up to Azure.

My understanding is that I need an Azure VM and to attach Azure storage to this.

On my onsite Veeam server, could I simply map a network drive to the Azure VM and point backup copy jobs to this? I'm doubtful.

What are Veeam Cloud Connect services in Azure for? Are they absolutley required for backup to Azure?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] Veeam and Azure

Post by foggy »

Daithi wrote:What are Veeam Cloud Connect services in Azure for? Are they absolutley required for backup to Azure?
No, unless you're a service provider looking for providing your backup storage as a service.