Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kraeg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Axel Krägelius

Full VeeamBackup.mdf DB due to tape backup

Post by kraeg »

Hello!

We are running a "File to tape backup" of a large physikal fileserver partition with a lot of files. The result is a now a sql express database which is larger than 10 GB.

The largest tables are "dbo.tape.file_version"s and "dbo.tape.file_parts" with over 7GB.

Is there a way to shrink these tables? I can't move to a real MS SQL Server withouth the 10 GB limitation.

I already have limited the history to 200 sessions and 8 days - withouth any effect.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Axel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Full VeeamBackup.mdf DB due to tape backup

Post by veremin »

I'm afraid, if you plan to continue backing up numerous individual files via files to tape backup, migrating to fully blown SQL server will be the only option available for you. Thanks.
EnerconIT
Influencer
Full Name: Enercon Engineering

Post by EnerconIT »

I also have the same situation and the File to Tape backup is only a temporary item. What is the easiest and safest way to clean up the TempDB so we try the backup again? It failed previously and the second time it caused the TempDB to become full.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

DB modifications must be done under close supervision of our support engineer. So, feel free to open a ticket. Thanks.
EnerconIT
Influencer
Full Name: Enercon Engineering

Post by EnerconIT »

What is the limit, if there is one, to the file directory structure that can be copied? If there are a large number of directories and files will that hit a limit that will trigger issues with a file to tape backup?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The limit is around million of files, but the value might be higher or lower, depending on number of file versions you're preserving. Thanks.