Liked: 4 times
Full Name: John House

Re: Integration with Storage Snapshots : Vendor Roadmap

Post by jhouse » 1 person likes this post

James Yu
VP Business Development & Alliances
Tegile Systems
mobile 408.221.1289

We have been working with Veeam to get this done and we seem to get the run around on this. The person at Veeam that has tried is above and they don't return his calls and give him the run around that is why I said this. Now that they are a part of the World Largest Storage Company Western Digital this should be a mute point. We need to get this done and stop playing games with this this is what I mean.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The good thing is that v10 will bring a Universal Storage API which can be leveraged and some havy already jumped on this. I'm quite sure Tegile will be following soon (or WD now) based on demands out of the ~1700 customers they have.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
jhouse
Influencer

Post by jhouse »

They have not worked with Tegile on getting the Beta Universal Storage API so they can get started with the Certification Process or even contacted them on it. This is a game Veeam plays to play favorites to other storage manufacturers if they would call them and start working them on that would be great. As of right now, they don't even return phone calls to James Yu and I have posted his name twice in this post for them to call. He has already called them several times but just gets the runaround. Stop playing games and get this done!! I have waited a long time for this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

John, I see your point, but please be aware that this process is managed by our alliance team, people behind these forums do not contact other vendors reps. Anyway, I will forward your feedback on the issue to our team. On a side note, please keep in mind the fact from Anton's post over here, which explains how Universal Storage API are accessed.
jhouse
Influencer

Post by jhouse »

Thank You for passing this along but I have tried to contact Matt Carpenter because I'm a Veeam Customer and no response Tegile people in charge of working with other Vendors (James Yu) and all we get is the run around that is why I say Veeam is playing favorites with this. We have seen this post before but we have been working for over a year on getting Veeam to work with us. NOW we are part of the World largest storage provider so LET's GET THIS DONE and Quit Playing Games I have been in the IT industry for over 35 years and I know when a vendor is giving us the runaround.
xmaveric
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua Gregory

Post by xmaveric »

I was just wondering... is Tegile part of the worlds largest storage supplier? :-D
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Joshua: I think John is referring to this. https://www.tegile.com/release/western- ... es-tegile/

Joe
RichT
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by RichT » 1 person likes this post

+1 for DataCore SANsymphony-V Support
eric.bauer@rga.net
Lurker
Full Name: Eric Bauer

Post by eric.bauer@rga.net » 1 person likes this post

+1 for Datacore
casper
Lurker
Full Name: Casper

Post by casper »

+1 for Huawei OceanStor 5500 V3
bolte.rgi
Lurker
Full Name: Lukas Bolte

Post by bolte.rgi » 1 person likes this post

+1 for DataCore SANsymphony-V
Zeegske
Lurker
Full Name: Marc

[MERGED] HDS snapshotting with Veeam

Post by Zeegske » 1 person likes this post

Hello there,

we have HDS storage and would like to keep using Veeam as our backupsoftware.
Unfortunately there is no HDS snapshotting possible in combination with Veeam which I think is weird since in the VMworld sessions the partnership with HDS was mentioned 4 times bij Gostev ;)

Any idea when this will become available?

I presume there are more enterprise clients which use HDS and Veeam and have the same issues?

Regards,
Marc
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Re: [MERGED] HDS snapshotting with Veeam

Post by DonZoomik »

Zeegske wrote:Unfortunately there is no HDS snapshotting possible in combination with Veeam which I think is weird since in the VMworld sessions the partnership with HDS was mentioned 4 times bij Gostev ;)
I'm a simple man - when I see HDS, I click +1.

Currently rolling out HDS VSP...
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 6 people like this post

Hello Customers and Partners, thank you for all your feedback and voting. We really appreciate that you actively interact with us and I can assure you that the forum and this forum thread has a powerful voice within our decision processes.

As Anton Gostev already announced in his forum digest, we will prepone some exiting features from v10 to v9.5 Update 3 and you guys here will love it. We will share some additional news soon. And please monitor the public announcements in the next half year for even more news.

Overall the storage vendor selection process has not changed. In the past Veeam did all the vendor integrations ourselves which lead to a single storage vendor integration per year. With the upcoming release of the new Veeam Universal Storage API, we had built a joint development process that can accelerate the number of vendor per year 5 times and more. With the API we will keep the deep integration and easy to use interface that is used today. When the API is released as a part of Update 3, you will see many news around it on a more regular base.

There is no beta program for the API. Veeam developers had built one other integration based on the API ourselves (IBM SVC) to polish the process from vendor perspective. Plus, another storage vendor was chosen to work on the pilot process with us and trust me, this vendor had a hard life to keep up with all of our changes. The good thing why we went that path is, that the integration process is solid right from the release of the first API version. Next 2 vendors are already in the queue and waiting for our final API release.

Beside your voting here, the selection process looks on our joint revenue and pipeline. So those vendors that work actively with us and our partners, have better chance to get selected by our top management. Likely this will match with our install base, but we monitor upstart vendors as well. So you will see that we will not look at the public market share alone as the main indicator. So over time, our top management will keep picking additional storage vendors for the Universal Storage API program, based on the load of our QA team and progress of already selected vendors.

As we had announced the API program a long time ago, we already have a huge list of storage vendor candidates that want to work with us (nearly all of the storage vendors). It is sometimes frustrating for them and us to wait for the API release and to be selected within the top management decision process. I am sorry about this, but you all can be sure that we will treat this serious in the best interest of our customers and will accelerate after the actual API release.

You can see on the latest integrations and announcements that we had already started to accelerate the vendor integrations: This year with the releases of Nimble and Cisco HyperFlex ... plus the Veeam Public announcements of IBM/Lenovo/Infinidat/Pure integration that will come soon. You will also see additional updates of the existing integrations in the same timeframe.

If you have any questions, you can contact me at andreas.neufert (at) veeam.com
I work for our Product Management within the Global Alliance team and take care about all 3rd party vendor integrations.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 2 people like this post

Regarding the Tegile requests and notes... I hear you. We are in contact with their product management and I was in a first call with them on 14. September right after my longer vacation and business traveling times. Sorry for the delay.
robert rosenberg
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: robert rosenberg

Post by robert rosenberg » 1 person likes this post

+ 1 Tegile
ndhruv
Lurker
Full Name: Nimesh Dhruv

Post by ndhruv »

+1 for Dell EMC VMAX
omegagx
Enthusiast
Full Name: Mike G

[MERGED] SDK/Integration for Kaminario by Alliance team

Post by omegagx »

:?:
Our flash SAN vendor Kaminario is trying to fix our snapshot stun issue on our SQL server that occurs during period of high data transfer to/from the VM. They claim that Veeam was working on an SDK to allow 3rd parties, such as Kaminario to integrate with Veeam. I know that Veeam Alliance team is working on this SDK but I can't find out any estimates on when this would be released. Does anyone have any visibility into this to provide us with at least an estimated target date?
Thanks a lot.

-Michael.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Michael, please check this post above, should answer your questions. Thanks.
omegagx
Enthusiast
Full Name: Mike G

Post by omegagx »

So no chance that Kaminario will get this integration in the foreseeable future?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I cannot comment on chances of any particular storage. The selection process and criteria are described in the referred post.
CCSAD
Novice

Post by CCSAD »

Gostev wrote:Veeam fully supports VVOLs for a couple of years now, and VVOLs enable backup from storage snapshots natively.
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/bac ... are-vvols/
Hi Gostev, I was basing my comment on your comment this thread: veeam-backup-replication-f2/request-vvo ... ml#p221363

Have things changed?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi CCSAD,

No, no changes at VVOL side. We support backing up from VVOL Snapshots through VMware API based backups with Virtual Appliance and Network mode. Virtual Appliance mode uses the enhanced Veeam data fetcher to accelerate backup and restore with asynchronous read/write. It can not be used as a Veeam VM Replica target because of VMware limitations in the VVOL implementation. If VMware change this, it would work out of the box.

VVOL snapshot orchestration (Veeam Snapshot only Jobs), Veeam Explorer from Storage Snapshots and OnDemand labs from Storage Snapshots are things that we look into when VVOL adoption rate in the field grow.
zipman
Novice
Full Name: Flavio Visentin

[MERGED] Re: Any closer to an ETA for Veeam v10 ?

Post by zipman »

Hi Gostev.
Gostev wrote: Yes, IBM Storwize integration is also a part of Update 3. And remember that this integration is not limited to Storwize only - it works with any SVC-based storage, including Lenovo models and SVC installed on general-purpose servers from IBM HCL.
Is there any possibility to integrate Huawei OceanStor storage products in Veeam? For what I know it's fairly simple to control Huawei Oceanstor for your need (it's very similar to storewize in this respect).
I could manage to have you get in touch with Huawei R&D department if you have interest in supporting that products too.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Flavio, I've moved your post to a dedicated thread regarding future storage integrations. Please see this post for further details. Thanks.
tdeg807
Novice
Full Name: Travis deGooijer

Post by tdeg807 »

Gostev wrote:Travis, IBM support is coming in v10 - we've announced this last year > https://www.veeam.com/executive-blog/ve ... cloud.html
In fact, it's one of the first v10 features which is code complete already ;)
Is announcing features and not implementing until almost 2 years later normal for Veeam? (I don't anticipate 10 being out in 2017, IBM Storwize support was announced in early 2016).
peschechera
Lurker
Full Name: giuseppe peschechera

Post by peschechera »

+1 huawey Dorado v3
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

tdeg807 wrote:Is announcing features and not implementing until almost 2 years later normal for Veeam? (I don't anticipate 10 being out in 2017, IBM Storwize support was announced in early 2016).
IBM Storwize support got moved up to 9.5u3
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
bacon_strips
Novice

Post by bacon_strips » 1 person likes this post

Our team at MIT would like integration with Tegile storage snapshots.

Thank you.