Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Instant VM Recovery Question

Post by Stabz »

Hi guys another question for you =D

I'm testing on my lab this feature.
I read this documentation : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

But I have some questions:
1) It said "It is like having a "temporary spare" for a VM: users remain productive while you can troubleshoot an issue with the failed VM."

Ok to troubleshoot the failed VM if it isolated from the network, but even if we can fix it, the users will have worked on the Instant recovery.
All the modifications are on this "Restored VM". So execpt to understand what is happened in the original Vm , this one we'll be deleted in any cases ?

All the modification are logged in redologs.
It said "These changes are discarded as soon as a restored VM is removed, or merged with the original VM data when VM recovery is finalized."

I don't understand, the merge with the original VM data.

I didn't see a failback solution from an instant VM recovery we can only migrate the recovered VM to production and the original Vm is deleted. Or unpublish it and lose all the changes.
Right?

Thanks Philippe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Instant VM Recovery Question

Post by foggy »

1. As you mentioned further in your post, the IR VM will be either migrated to production or just discarded.
2. By merge, it means the fact that the changes will be copied to the VM restored from the backup.
Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Post by Stabz »

Hmm Ok.

That's too bad, a failback option should be great, similar to the replication job.

The troubleshooting is useful just to determine what happened on the VM, but the original VM is in the most cases lost.

Thanks for the clarification foggy.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If it is lost completely, then there's nothing to failback to and you migrate the IR VM to production. If it is there but corrupt/outdated you also have the option to make a new replication job for the IR VM, map it to the original VM, replicate and failover.