Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
xbriank
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Kerr

Quick Migration with Shared and Not shared storage

Post by xbriank »

Here is the scenario:

I have 2 ESXi hosts, and I want to migrate one VM between them. The VM in question has Its Main OS on a local Datastore, and a rather large Data Disk that is on a SAN. Both ESXi Servers have access to the SAN storage.

If I use Quick Migration and specify the data store for the shared Storage to remain in the same place is quick migration smart enough to not try to copy that data?

Essentially I want it to move the OS Disk from Local storage on Host A to Local Storage on Host B, but leave the Data Disk on the shared SAN. is this possibl;e without making a second copy of the Data Disk?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Quick Migration with Shared and Not shared storage

Post by foggy »

Hi Brian, chance are the disk stored on the SAN will still be copied to another folder on the same datastore during migration, but I haven't checked this. You can try with some smaller VM prior to migrating that bigger one.
tholyoak
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by tholyoak »

I can confirm that this is the case. I discovered this last night. I consider this a bug. It makes Quick Migration useless for us, which is unfortunate because it means because I have a VMware Essentials license, I have to shut down a VM and use the cold migration in vCenter (which is smart enough to recognize shared storage).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I wouldn't call this a bug but rather a feature request - to teach Quick Migration jobs to re-use existing disk location upon VM migration and just switch the disk between VMs.