Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Has anyone had luck with the Migration Util?

Post by pufferdude »

I tried to upgrade my vCenter 5.5. appliance to 6.5 per vmware instructions but it kept crashing halfway through the process... after two days with vmware support not being able to fix it, I decided to thrown in the towel and just install 6.5 vcenter fresh, move my hosts into it, then use the Veeam Migration Utility to fix up the morefs. However, I'm having zero luck with the utility.

When I run "Veeam.Backup.VmMigrator.exe preparemigrationtask <name_of_old_vCenter> <name_of_new_vCenter>" per the instuctions, substituting the actual names for my old and new vCenters, I get

"Error: Vi root host with name "vcentervm" not found" (vcentervm is the name of my old vcenter appliance). Then I tried using the IP addresses of the old and new appliances, same result. Am I missing something obvious trying to use this utility, or is it just broken?
pufferdude
Expert

Re: Has anyone had luck with the Migration Util?

Post by pufferdude »

Do I need to have BOTH vCenters in Veeam before I use this utility? Maybe that is the problem, since only my old vcenter is in there now. The instructions for the tool don't mention this... maybe it's assumed?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Jim, correct, the second VC should also be added to Veeam B&R, so most likely this is the issue.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude » 1 person likes this post

Yep, I figured that out after posting. Worked like a champ. Thanks!
pllove
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Loveless

Post by pllove »

I know this is an old post but, I found that when running the migrator commands you have to use (name or IP) the way that it is displayed in the console. It the vcenter was registered with the short you must use the short name when you run the commands in the migrator commands. In my case trying to use the IP also failed. That is when I went in the console to double check how the vcenters were registered. I had 2 registered (1 short name and 1 fqdn name)