Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
alex.bloder
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Bloder

NAS to tape backup

Post by alex.bloder »

Hello comunity,

I am struggeling with a small problem and couldn't find the answer yet.

We bought Veeam Enterprise+ a month ago and I started to configure the first jobs successfully.

We backup different VM's and physical servers to a local NAS.
We knew that we need a new NAS for the backups, and we already got the quotations for that.

After the backup job we want to create a job that backups to a local Tape-Libary.
But now i need to know, if the backup-job to tape needs storage on the Veeamserver or if Veeam can copy the backup directly to tape from the Synology.

I know that if i make a reverse-incremental job i can always copy a full-backup to tape, but I don't know if i need extra space for the copy-job on the server.

I would have another question but is is a different topic:
If I make a forever Incremental with an Agent, the restore-points won't be deleted. It keeps more than i defined in my retention

If anyone could help me with this problem it would be great.

Best regards

Alexander Bloder
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: NAS to tape backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Alexander,
But now i need to know, if the backup-job to tape needs storage on the Veeamserver or if Veeam can copy the backup directly to tape from the Synology.
Both ways are supported. File to tape job can backup files from shared folder and backup to tape works with Veeam repository. Backup to tape is an advanced type of job with a logic that can create a synthetic full on tape (even though you are running forever incremental backup job to disk).
I know that if i make a reverse-incremental job i can always copy a full-backup to tape, but I don't know if i need extra space for the copy-job on the server.
Try forever forward incremental disk job in conjunction with backup to tape with periodic synthetic full to tape
If I make a forever Incremental with an Agent, the restore-points won't be deleted. It keeps more than i defined in my retention
VAW workstation or free edition runs retention in days of successful backup instead of regular restore points count. You can set lower retention or modify the schedule (as I assume you create more than one restore point per day, but it still counts as one day of successful backup).
alex.bloder
Novice

Post by alex.bloder »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
The tape questions are clear now.

With the Agents it is still a bit unclear for me.
My physical server will be backuped daily once.
The last 20 days i had a succesfull backup, but no backup got deleted.
If i got it right, the backup's should get deleted.

I found out that if i create a full backup, the backups will be deleted until there the exact number as the retention.

Could it be that Agents just delete the backup on full backup's?

Thanks for your help :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I found out that if i create a full backup, the backups will be deleted until there the exact number as the retention.
Correct.
Could it be that Agents just delete the backup on full backup's?
Not until certain number of restore points, counted from the latest full backup, is reached.
alex.bloder
Novice

Post by alex.bloder »

Thanks for the information,

This solved my problems.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other help be needed, let us know.