Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MauriceM
Service Provider
Liked: never

Health Check for Copy Job?

Post by MauriceM »

Hello All, I'm a bit new to Veeam (first post) was just looking for some advice regarding best practises for health checks on backup copy jobs. Here's my situation.

- 20 jobs
- 14-30 Restore points online
- Incremental w Synthetic fulls every Saturday
- Encryption enabled
- NTFS Repository
- Backup jobs verified w surebackup
- Copy job runs nightly

Do I need to schedule health checks on the copy job as well? I recall reading it wasn't required since they recalculate crc values at the beginning of the sync. If I should run health checks how should I schedule them in relation to the synthetic fulls?

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Health Check for Copy Job?

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is recommended to schedule periodic (monthly is ok) health checks to verify whether the latest restore point on target repository is valid. Since health check is performed at the beginning of the job, it is not affected by synthetic full. But you can schedule them at different days to avoid extremely long job runs.
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Post by stewsie »

I have a question which I think is exactly the same as this one. I have backup jobs configured to run health checks on a monthly basis and also copy jobs on a monthly basis as well.
Do I need health checks on the copy jobs as well?

The reason I ask is that some of the jobs running the health checks take a number of days.

Should I be doing active or synthetic fulls to reduce the amount of time the health checks take to run?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul, health check on backup copy will ensure the backup files have landed fine on the target storage and target storage itself doesn't have any issues, so is recommended.
jurcacristian
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: cristi jurca

Post by jurcacristian »

Hi Guys, can you please tell me where this health check operation is being performed, i suspect is on the destination storage ? Also if this operation is taking any of the concurrent tasks allocated to a cloud connect tenant or the concurrent tasks set on their cloud connect repository ?

Thanks
Cristi
CrisJ
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Cristi, health cheсk is performed on repository server and is a separate task that counts within the concurrent tasks limit assigned to repository.